Mac Pro Stolen

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Joe Bannon, Dec 21, 2008.

1. Joe Bannon macrumors regular

We got burglarized friday night. They got a lot of stuff, and our mac pro. Is there a way for apple to find it when it goes online?

2. iToaster macrumors 68000

iToaster

Do you have the serial number? They can catch it if it needs repair, but sorry, there's no way to catch it when it turns on unless you had MobileMe on it with screen sharing or file sharing.

3. thomahawk macrumors 6502a

thomahawk

im not sure, unless they have record of the MAC address of the internet card in your macpro, maybe

4. Joe Bannon thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I have the serial number. MobileMe wasn't active.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Not really, but searching for the serial number online at Craigslist, ebay, etc will likely help you locate the theft ring that stole it -- or at least who they sold it to.

But the police likely won't do anything more than log the evidence from the burglary, and input the stolen merchandise into their database.

Basically if they stumble across the thieves of the merchandise in a case later, it'll add to that arrest.

6. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

I had an employee get his place broken into on Thursday and they took the kids Christmas presents, his laptop and a whole lot more. Very sad for both of you, I wish we could use thumbscrews on these jackasses if they were caught.
    I wish you the best of luck and hope despite this crap you have a Merry Christmas somehow.

7. Slimdude22 macrumors member

Theres got to be a way that he can at least get his money back right? was it under warranty or anything like that at least? maybe write to apple and plead them your case, they might be sympathetic...doubtful but its a shot.

8. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's probably for the best that you didn't catch him in the act, though. Anyone who can heft a Mac Pro to steal it probably isn't anyone to be trifled with.

9. fsron macrumors member

Why would the warranty help? Not a warranty issue. I hope they had insurance, like a home owners policy.

10. nanofrog macrumors G4

You may be able to make a claim if you have either homeowners or renters insurance.

Just an idea. ;)

11. synth3tik macrumors 68040

synth3tik

sadly, Apple does not have a database that holds suspect serials. Really wish they did. Best beat would be to get the serial number to the Police and also I would call around to pawn shops. With this economy I would suspect that thefts would be more apt to pawn it off more then anything. Also keep your eyes peeled on craigslist.

Sorry to hear about your misfortune.

12. Joe Bannon thread starter macrumors regular

13. bigbird macrumors 6502

I'm sorry but I've never read anything as ridiculous as your statement. Did you think that out before you posted it?

14. Slimdude22 macrumors member

sorry for the insane post just felt bad for the guy and just throwing out ideas. and thanks for the pointless comment bigbird appreciate it.

15. Schtumple macrumors 601

Schtumple

Learn to use the "Edit" Button seen in the bottom right of your post, BigBird had a point, it's not warranty, it's insurance, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and go for it was a momentary lapse in concentration :p

16. bigbird macrumors 6502

My pleasure!

17. lostngone macrumors demi-god

lostngone

Maybe

Your profile says you live in Dallas Texas so the odds are against you.

In smaller communities with a limited number of ISP's, with a police report you might be able to talk to your ISP's in the area can have then check there DHCP or switching logs for the MAC address of your system. It is a long shot because if crook or the person that buys the stolen hardware has a router/firewall the ISP will never see the MAC address of the system.

18. ObaMaciden macrumors member

ObaMaciden

Another way to track the thug's ISP is to contact your mail ISP providers/gmail/yahoo mail, etc, and see if they tried to log into your email accounts. (When I login my gmail, it displays my last login IP.) Also, if you have registered software, there might be a way to track from what IP they connected to check/download upgrades. While you are at it, make sure you change password on every account you can think of. If you suspect id theft, it's a federal crime, contact the FBI and your DA. Cut your losses the best you can!:mad:

It's gotta hurt. Best wishes.

19. hualon macrumors 6502

I've been worried about this happening to me. I've never had my house broken into but I've also never owned such a valuable computer!

Has anyone else considered putting the lojack software on their Mac Pro? I certainly have!

20. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

I'd risk my life to save a Mac Pro. Even if it wasn't mine. ;)

To the OP: That is such bulls***!!! I am terribly sorry to hear about that...my God...like he said, fortunate that you didn't walk in on it. I'm sure even if the iThieves weren't big they most likely had guns. Best wishes to you and your family for the holidays.

21. Sehnsucht macrumors 65816

Come to think of it...that $25,000 Mac Pro that I've been dreaming about would be a liability to have in my house. I guess I'd need to upgrade the security system in my house first, maybe something like a machine gun that drops out from behind a retractable ceiling tile like in The Incredibles movie. :D

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Is there any proof what so ever that apple will do anything if someone brings in a stolen computer? I doubt that there is, and I've actually seen the opposite.

23. dvdhsu macrumors 6502a

dvdhsu

I am so sorry.

I have heard that you can tell Apple that the Computer was stolen, and you can tell them to put it into the Description, so if the thief shows up with it trying to fix it, they should get questioned.

God bless you.
    I hope you get it back, and Happy Holidays.

24. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

what do you mean the opposite? apple congratulating them on stealing it?

25. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I'm about 99% sure i've heard reports of Apple repairing stolen machines even when they know it is stolen. They will simply not hassle with calling the police or whatever else, even though many theifs have other stolen goods at the same place (which would be tracable to the IP)

But wait, there is a tool that will allow users to identify if their machine is stolen. It draws from www.powermax.com-if the user runs "coconutidentitycard" (http://www.coconut-flavour.com/coconutidentitycard/index.html) they will be able to see if their machine is stolen. I'm not sure if this will help you in your case, however.