Mac Pro strange behavior...

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Macsimus11, Oct 4, 2008.

1. Macsimus11 macrumors member

I am hoping someone can help me with this problem. This has been happening for about 3 months now.

On my 1st Gen Mac Pro, I suddenly get a strange blue screen out of no where. Everything on the screen freezes for a few seconds then the screen flashes blue for another few seconds. After the screen comes back from the blue, everything works perfectly again. Even when listening to music, music pauses for a few seconds and then comes back. This happens a couple times a week and its getting on my nerves. Sometimes it lasts for a long time and requires a hard restart. Anyone else with this problem who can help?

I have tried reinstalling Leopard/tried hardware test/upgraded to the 8800GT video card and the 3870/I cleaned the whole inside of the box with compressed air

I even took her into the apple store and had a genius look at it over night. They told me everything is working perfectly. Ofcourse it started doing it again after I got home with it. The apple store suggested that I could always replace the logic board but they want over $1000.00 for that and I dont know if its worth it. Thanks in advance for any replies.

Macsimus

2. Catch Them macrumors regular

how about trying a different boot drive?
    could be the OS or drive itself is ticking away and/or corrupted?

that usually indicates when it stutters and blanks in and out could be a drive....or perhaps failing memory...

highly doubt a logic board would solve anything.

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

The battery on my MacBook Pro kept on shutting off and the geniuses couldn't duplicate the problem. I just kept on taking it back until it happend and the battery was then replaced. My advice is keep on taking it back. It's obviously a graphics card problem.

4. Macsimus11 thread starter macrumors member

Thanks so much for the great replies. I ended up buying a new boot drive and the problem was still there. I replaced the battery on the logic board and still problems. I ended up finding a brand new logic board online for a really good price and installed it myself. I now have no problems with the crashing at all. Works great. Thanks again.