Mac Pro Stuck at Apple Logo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by marker227, Aug 22, 2014.

1. marker227, Aug 22, 2014
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2014

marker227 macrumors 6502

Hey all,

I restarted my computer and now my computer is getting hung up on the Apple logo. Sometimes it shows the gear and other times it just stops at the Apple logo.

I repaired disc permissions 4 times and "repaired disc" 2 times. The SSD in my computer is under a year old.

I'm not sure what prompted this to happen. Luckily I was able to get an Apple Genius Bar appointment tomorrow.

Does anyone have a possible solution for me? I tried P-Ram reset (no luck, all that comes up is my firmware password prompt) and safe mode. I wasn't able to get the computer to boot into safe mode. I did all these tests with all the peripherals unplugged.

Luckily, I just completed a fresh time machine backup about 12 hours earlier. If I restored from that point, it would put back all 3 of my user accounts on my laptop?

I have to be able to restore or else I'm really in trouble. I was in the middle of moving my 70gb music folder from my guest account to my main account. I was not able to see any of the files through the Time Machine Backup/Users/Guest/Music/ folder while in my main account. The folder says it's 70gb, but every artist folder is empty... So, I was manually adding the playlists via iTunes (which seemed to work).

2. iBook_Clamshell macrumors member

Save anything on the SSD you need(hook it up to another computer), format completely and reinstall OS X. Don't just restore, reload. This has worked for me a lot.

3. yjchua95 macrumors 604

What type of MacBook Pro are you using?

Please state the size and model (e.g. mid-2010, early-2011)

4. marker227 thread starter macrumors 6502

2.3 GHz Intel Core i7 w/ 16 GB of ram. I believe the year is Late 2012. I could be wrong.

I restored from a Time Machine backup. It seems to have done the trick. This is only temporary. I do plan on restoring the machine completely and then migrating only the files I absolutely need.

Thanks for the help :).