Mac Pro suddenly shuts down.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ilegal31, Dec 15, 2014.

1. ilegal31 macrumors member

ilegal31

Hello people,

I have a Mac pro 2,1 running OS X Yosemite, also I had upgraded the graphics card to an Nvidia GTX 570 HD 2.5GB VRAM, the computer runs fine until I open any application then it shuts down, restarts twice and goes back to normal "Sometimes I have to repairr the drive to boot", I had replaced the ram with a kit purchased over E-bay "The seller claims
    is compatible" the ram is recognized by the computer, on the following picture yo guys will notice a red light that remains on after it shuts dow, a friend of mine told me that a faulty Power Supply Unit maigth be the issue, what do you guys think?. Also, the memory boards from a Mac Pro 1,1 will work on a Mac Pro 2,1?.

[​IMG]

Thanks.

2. boodaddyz, Dec 15, 2014
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2014

boodaddyz macrumors member

boodaddyz

It could be the power supply. You need to troubleshoot. First, I would take the GTX 570 out, and put your factory card in, and see if the problem still exists. If so, then you have a problem pointed at the card, or power.

If you have the same issues with the factory card, then you need to look at the ram. I would put the factory ram back in, and see if the problem still exists.

Yes, the Memory Riser Card from a 1.1 will work in a 2.1

3. ilegal31 thread starter macrumors member

ilegal31

Hello boodaddy,

I had replaced the graphics card and it behaves the same, I no longer have the original ram, I did not had this issue previously, started when I purchased a ram kit over e-bay the ram is generic I noticed that it gets extremely hot, I think probably that is the issue, can you please recomend me a ram brand that is certified and works without problems on a mac pro?.

I greatly appreciate your time.

4. boodaddyz macrumors member

boodaddyz

I would check out OWC they have great Mac memory, with lifetime warranty. I would return your ram you just purchased if you are 100% sure that is the problem... If it's to late to return your memory, OWC has a trade-in program for memory that will get you additional savings.

Here is the link
    http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/memory/Mac-Pro-Memory#667-memory

Hope this helps

5. NOTNlCE macrumors 6502a

NOTNlCE

How is your boot drive health? Just yesterday, I had to replace the hard drive portion of my fusion drive because the drive was dead. Boot would start, and as soon as I spun up the hard drive, the machine would power off.

6. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I think it's a power issue, followed by a RAM issue.

7. ilegal31 thread starter macrumors member

ilegal31

Hello people,

I had tested the ram, hard drive and graphics card on another Mac Pro and they work fine, at this point I think the issue might be the PSU.

8. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

With the 570 being a bit of a power hog (330 odd watts iirc) and your old PSU losing a bit of peak power over the years it would be my prime suspect tripping it out when the GPU kicks in properly.