Mac Pro superdrive fan full on watching DVD. whats up?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by sparkie7, Mar 18, 2009.

1. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

This can't be normal as when I watch DVDs in my MacBook Pro 17 the superdrive is silent. Any ideas :confused:

2. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

3. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

The spin up is noisy. Does it stay noisy through the entire DVD?

The good news is it only takes about 12 minutes on a MP to transcode a DVD. Then you can watch it from the quiet comfort of your HD.

Delete after watching.

4. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

yeh, the fan seems to be on all the time playing direct from the DVD. surely this can't be normal??

only thing is i seldom rip DVDs to my HD. too time cunsuming, I jsut prefer to pop it in the drive and watch. then eject.

Playing on my MBP17 is super silent and quiet. I'm puzzled and confused :eek::confused:

5. Aegelward macrumors 6502a

Sure it isn't the drive itself making the noise? i've had some pretty noisy disc drives in the past, sometimes the fault of the disc too.

6. cured.not.dried macrumors member

sure you aren't Dazed and confused?? ;);)
    but i digress...

where exactly is the fan for the optical drive in the mac pro?

7. mcavjame macrumors 65816

mcavjame

I don't think it's the fan he is hearing, but the spinning up of the drive.

8. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Are you watching a DVD that is store bought? If your watching a ripped DVD or a home made DVD. The drive will recognize the DVD as recordable media and spin at full speed. If it is a store bought DVD. Then the drive will recognize the disc as a movie DVD and spin at a much slower speed.
    I think that is what you are hearing. You just probably notice it more in the mac pro. As the mac pro super drive is 18X. Compared to your mac book which is probably a 8X.

9. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

i'm having the same problem with my mac pro. with a store-bought dvd. i don't think it's a fan, as i don't think there is a fan for the optical drive, but rather that the drive spins full-bore, and doesn't slow down. it's weird.

10. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

thank goodness someone else is having the same symptons. i thought the white suit from the cherry farm were gonna come knocking with a straight jacket. yeh, maybe its the super-drive. if it is, its bl**dy noisy :eek:

11. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

I've read other threads about this same problem.
    I also have the same problem with my superdrive on my mac pro.

Watching dvd's the disc spins at full speed for the whole movie.

With this many people asking if this is normal, i'm starting to think that it is.

12. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

mine hasn't done this before today. I'm wondering if some recent software update freaked it out or something

13. sparkie7 thread starter macrumors 68000

sparkie7

mine was a (as) new (refurb) machine and had no other extraneous software except mac os x and Xbench. so not sure about the software explanation.

i returned it today and bought a new one (end of line), so will see if its the same when i chuck a DVD in this weekend or tonight