Mac Pro Syncing to MBP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by strausd, May 2, 2010.

1. strausd macrumors 68030

Hey, I am planning on getting one of the 2010 Mac Pros for school when they come out. I am wondering if there is any way to sync the documents I have on my MacBook Pro to my Mac Pro. What I mean is if I write a paper on my MacBook Pro, I want it to automatically sync and be on my Mac Pro, or vice versa. The only thing I would want to sync would be the documents and maybe a folder for 3D models and animations for when I go to class. Is there any way to do this? Thanks in advance for all the help!

2. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

Chronosync looks pretty good. My main concern is whether or not it will be able to connect to the Mac Pro automatically over wifi, do you know if it can do that?

3. veryfaint macrumors newbie

You might wanna check sugarsync / dropbox etc. Free and works quite well. I used sugarsync to sync Papers between MBP and MP.:D

4. silencer88 macrumors member

I'd also recommend dropbox (dropbox.com), it's been totally awesome for not only syncing projects between my MacBook pro and the lab computers, but also sharing a folder with multiple people for a group project. While there may be more elegant syncing and version control systems out there, dropbox is so easy to set up that anyone will use it (it's literally just a folder on the file system). Plus the iPhone app and web access have both been lifesavers in the last few months.

I also think it would be perfect for your needs and only requires web access to sync.

5. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I'll check out drop box, but does anyone know if ChronoSync is able to connect to another computer automatically?

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

I use MobileMe's iDisk to sync everything between my various Mac's and keep a copy in the cloud. It works transparently... you don't need to do anything once you enable it. MobileMe can also sync a lot of other stuff between multiple machines such as your keychain, bookmarks, etc.

Of course, MoblieMe is not free, but if you want the email and other benefits of MobileMe than, it's a nice elegant way to solve your problem.

7. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

I have a MobileMe account. The thing is that when I save a document I don't save it to my iDisk and I dont want to take the time to copy all my files over to my iDisk. I need to find something that can automatically connect to another computer and sync the 2 folders together.

8. gglockner macrumors 6502

gglockner

I use ChronoSync and it works great for me. It syncs perfectly over WiFi. The only thing is that you have to share the folder on the Mac Pro that you want to sync.

Well worth the money.

9. strausd thread starter macrumors 68030

It will automatically connect to the computer during a scheduled sync?