Mac Pro temperature specs?

hugodrax

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 15, 2007
Anyone know where this can be found, the Max temp specs for each chip in a Mac Pro 1,1

For example on my desktop

CPUS run at 35-37 C
Northbridge 68C
memory sticks 63-68 C

Curious to see what is considered max.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
Anyone know where this can be found, the Max temp specs for each chip in a Mac Pro 1,1

For example on my desktop

CPUS run at 35-37 C
Northbridge 68C
memory sticks 63-68 C

Curious to see what is considered max.

More than that ;)

Typically: 90-100C for CPU/GPU/Mobo chips/Memory
50-55C for hard disks

Either way nothing to worry about at those temps.

ProfDrLuigi

macrumors member
Jun 19, 2010
90-100 for CPU????

Wow. I think that is too much. Do you pulled off all Fans out of your mac? :)

You know that 95 is the max. for Memory Modules? Kingston has this. I think its for the other Brands too.

Check your mac. That´s not normal.

CaptainChunk

macrumors 68020
Apr 16, 2008
Phoenix, AZ
The CPUs in my 2008 MP rarely exceed around 55ºC under full load rendering video.

The Northbridge chip can run a bit hotter, in comparison. (60ºC-ish on my machine, under the same circumstances).

For me, the hottest running component (aside from the GPU) is consistently the memory (65ºC or so under a full rendering load). But, this is also being mindful that FB-DIMMs run pretty hot to begin with, in comparison to the unbuffered DDR3 DIMMs used in the 2009 models.

Inconsequential

macrumors 68000
Sep 12, 2007
90-100 for CPU????

Wow. I think that is too much. Do you pulled off all Fans out of your mac? :)

You know that 95 is the max. for Memory Modules? Kingston has this. I think its for the other Brands too.

Check your mac. That´s not normal.
All CPUs are designed to withstand those temperatures.

If you look at the core temperatures of any modern CPU running with 'stock' cooling you will find them at 80+C.

My MacBook Pros regularly under full load reach that, my Mac Pro 4,1 reaches 90C if I don't manually ramp the fans up. :p

And before you say OMGZ somethings wrong, no it's the temp from the sensor IN THE CORE, that is to say, where it is hottest...

Roman23

macrumors 6502
Jun 12, 2010
My temps

currently are t 90 degrees Fah.. when using itunes or full load, doesn't go above 105.

All CPUs are designed to withstand those temperatures.

If you look at the core temperatures of any modern CPU running with 'stock' cooling you will find them at 80+C.

My MacBook Pros regularly under full load reach that, my Mac Pro 4,1 reaches 90C if I don't manually ramp the fans up. :p

And before you say OMGZ somethings wrong, no it's the temp from the sensor IN THE CORE, that is to say, where it is hottest...

666sheep

macrumors 68040
Dec 7, 2009
Poland
MP 1.1:
CPUs: max 65 C http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/All-Xeon-Models/277/7

DDR2 FB DIMM: max 95 C - see any FB DIMMs datasheet

Northbridge: max 83 C - I cannot find source of this info now, but it was mentioned many times, on this forum too

@ProfDrLuigi: awesome temps (Northbridge especially - any mods to its cooling?). It's machine from your sig?

Here are my:

3 days ago I've disassembled all heatsinks and applied new thermal paste.
Used high performance IC Diamond 7 Carat. Before I had about 70-73 C on Northbridge.