Mac Pro temperature specs?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hugodrax, Jul 24, 2010.

1. hugodrax macrumors 6502a

Anyone know where this can be found, the Max temp specs for each chip in a Mac Pro 1,1

For example on my desktop

CPUS run at 35-37 C
    Northbridge 68C
    memory sticks 63-68 C

Curious to see what is considered max.

2. ProfDrLuigi macrumors member

3. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

More than that ;)

Typically: 90-100C for CPU/GPU/Mobo chips/Memory
    50-55C for hard disks

Either way nothing to worry about at those temps.

4. ProfDrLuigi macrumors member

90-100 for CPU????

Wow. I think that is too much. Do you pulled off all Fans out of your mac? :)

You know that 95 is the max. for Memory Modules? Kingston has this. I think its for the other Brands too.

Check your mac. That´s not normal.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

The CPUs in my 2008 MP rarely exceed around 55ºC under full load rendering video.

The Northbridge chip can run a bit hotter, in comparison. (60ºC-ish on my machine, under the same circumstances).

For me, the hottest running component (aside from the GPU) is consistently the memory (65ºC or so under a full rendering load). But, this is also being mindful that FB-DIMMs run pretty hot to begin with, in comparison to the unbuffered DDR3 DIMMs used in the 2009 models.

6. Inconsequential macrumors 68000

All CPUs are designed to withstand those temperatures.

If you look at the core temperatures of any modern CPU running with 'stock' cooling you will find them at 80+C.

My MacBook Pros regularly under full load reach that, my Mac Pro 4,1 reaches 90C if I don't manually ramp the fans up. :p

And before you say OMGZ somethings wrong, no it's the temp from the sensor IN THE CORE, that is to say, where it is hottest...

7. Roman23 macrumors 6502

My temps

currently are t 90 degrees Fah.. when using itunes or full load, doesn't go above 105.

8. 666sheep macrumors 68040

666sheep

MP 1.1:
    CPUs: max 65 C http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/All-Xeon-Models/277/7

DDR2 FB DIMM: max 95 C - see any FB DIMMs datasheet

Northbridge: max 83 C - I cannot find source of this info now, but it was mentioned many times, on this forum too

@ProfDrLuigi: awesome temps (Northbridge especially - any mods to its cooling?). It's machine from your sig?

Here are my:
    [​IMG]

3 days ago I've disassembled all heatsinks and applied new thermal paste.
    Used high performance IC Diamond 7 Carat. Before I had about 70-73 C on Northbridge.