Mac Pro Temps (Are mine too high?)

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by pixelbaker, May 28, 2007.

1. pixelbaker macrumors member

pixelbaker

I've been looking around a little, but not finding a whole lot on what temps are considered normal for a Mac Pro.

Are these normal? What are others' experiences?

[​IMG]

2. miniConvert macrumors 68040

miniConvert

3. sikzorro macrumors newbie

sikzorro

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

They're fine. The memory module A2 is a little on the high side, but not high enough to be dangerous. So long as your electronic components stays below 80 C, you are well within normal range (you wouldnt want your HDDs to be that hot...).

5. TheFuzz macrumors regular

6. pixelbaker thread starter macrumors member

pixelbaker

I have just never seen many postings of Mac Pro temps to verify my own as in the normal range. Anything above 50C looked abnormal from my previous experience with PCs.

Thanks

7. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Do you have 2 x 1GB sticks in Module A1 and A2, and 512MB sticks om the rest? If so they are ok. Even on the cool side. My 1GB sticks (Crucial) are around 75°

8. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The memory in the Mac Pros gets pretty hot, because the air passes over the RAM after passing over the CPU heatsink, so it's hotter than memory would be in your typical PC... But it's not something you should have to worry about.

9. pixelbaker thread starter macrumors member

pixelbaker

:confused: All 512mb sticks are Apple stock, the added 1gb sticks are OWC.

[​IMG]

10. Mr.Noisy macrumors 65816

Mr.Noisy

I Guess it's colder in the UK for a MP, but its in an airconditioned room.

Attached Files:

11. pixelbaker thread starter macrumors member

pixelbaker

parents are airconditioning nazis so it's usually around 80F in the house. my mac pro sits on a carpeted (I KNOW. I clean it out fairly regularly) floor underneath my desk that has a bit of air flow blockage. I'm trying to work out a better solution to placement, but it's a difficult work area.

12. tribe3 macrumors 6502

Pixel,
    I would switch those 1GB sticks to module 1 and 2 of Riser A, and put the 512s on module 3 and 4.

If you are worried about temperature you can download smcfancontrol: http://www.macupdate.com/info.php/id/23049 and tweak the fan speed for the CPU/Memory to 750rpm... But to tell you the truth I wouldn't even worry about it.

As long as they keep the smoke inside they are OK. Electronics fail if you let the smoke get out:D

13. pixelbaker thread starter macrumors member

pixelbaker

thanks for the replies guys. I'll go ahead and switch the RAM to different slots as tribe3 suggested and not worry about it.

OT: I just read a thread from a MBP user that said their programs take 3-4 seconds to open when loading them fresh after reboot. this was abnormal for them. This isn't abnormal at all on my mac pro. it take 7-8 seconds for firefox to load after a reboot and I have no apps set to start on login. is there something wrong?

14. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

Hmmm, my memory module A2 is 80 degrees - perhaps that's because I'm running SETI 24/7?

15. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Memory heat will go up with heavy usage, yes.

Get a square of plywood or shelving material and put it under the machine to lift it off the carpet (good idea for any computer, or battery backup, or any other component that generates heat, BTW.)

:eek: it take 7-8 seconds for firefox to load after a reboot and I have no apps set to start on login. is there something wrong? :eek:

7 - 8 seconds? And you're complaining?
    When you reboot, the memory is flushed, so the application is not in the Inactive memory any longer. This means it has to be read off of the hard drive and loaded into memory. That takes longer than switching between 2 programs that are already loaded and running.

16. Lycanthrope macrumors 6502a

Lycanthrope

And after stopping SETI for a while it they have dropped to 60 degrees - these are two 2GB OWC RAMS, the stock Apple's are at 50 degree but I guess 512's are always going to be a lot cooler.

17. pixelbaker thread starter macrumors member

pixelbaker

Swapped the 1gb sticks to be Mem Mod. A1 and A2. Also switched my setup to a new arrangement. Now the back of my system has a lot more open room to vent. Temps have dropped 2-4 degrees average. Not huge, but at least i did all that work for something.

Updated temps for anyone who cares:
    [​IMG]

18. macenforcer macrumors 65816

macenforcer

Just so you know. 30C is a dream come true for a cpu of that power. Temps are not only fine they are terrific. The average temp for other cpu's is like 50C.

19. chibianh macrumors 6502a

chibianh

Here's mine.

Attached Files:

20. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph