Mac Pro - third party Airport Card that works!

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Phil A., Nov 27, 2008.

1. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

When I got my Mac Pro, I was too impatient to wait for the BTO option of a wireless card figuring I'd just get one later. Unfortunately, as other people may have found out, it's not that straightforward to get one as you can't buy it as a customer fit option from most mac stores.
    After many months of searching and looking for a USB adapter that would work OK, I finally found a mini-pci card that fits internally inside the Mac Pro and works without any additional drivers (it actually uses the same broadcom chipset as the MBA).
    The card is an HP Wireless WIFI 802.11N 300Mbps Mini PCI-E Card DV TX, and I got one from eBay for £30.00.
    Fitting it was pretty straightforward if a bit fiddly (particularly attaching the internal aerial wires), and once it was done, my Mac recognised the card immediately (no drivers needed) and it works perfectly. The great thing about this card is it also supports 5Ghz, which many 3rd party cards don't.

Hopefully this will be useful to other Mac Pro users out there who have been in the same situation as me.

2. ZMacintosh macrumors 65816

ZMacintosh

sounds good.

just my own two cents.
    i recently ordered a BTO macpro and it arrived in less than 3 days from when i had to configured online.

also most apple stores and authorized dealers will install it for free if you buy it from them....IIRC
    But they have gotten quite snappier doing BTO MP's :D

3. hatehereyes macrumors 6502a

hatehereyes

another person posted a thread about third party airport cards for the mac pro the other day.

i've been looking on ebay for them now also and just the other day i lost a bid for one and it ended at $2.50 with free shipping.
    it was pretty lame.

4. Phil A. thread starter Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

It wasn't the cost of installation that was a problem for me, it was the fact that it's incredibly inconvenient to physically get the Mac Pro to the nearest Apple Store - it's hardly a light machine and the only Apple store anywhere near me is in the middle of a shopping Mall!

5. Pixellated macrumors 65816

I get images of you carrying a massive computer through a shopping centre. :D

6. pnyc macrumors 6502

7. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Trythis.

Works natively in OSX. It used to be $39.99, but the buyer increased the price. I guess it's due to the live.com discount and sellers are trying to jack up their prices.

8. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

There was some guy selling them on fleaBay before, the older three pole version.

I however was fortunate enough to buy the card over the counter at one of the stores here in Japan. Seller mumbled something about anything I added to the system wouldn't be covered by the default warranty - suggested I remove it before engaging in any after sales care...

Just before selling the system, I removed, just incase I need a spare! Besides, they're like gold dust when needed.

9. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Those are the atheros wireless card, which is what the mbp uses.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Which is better?

11. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

FYI, the internal slot that's used for the APE is just an standard Mini PCIe slot as found on a PC, nowt special about it.. really. In theory any card should work so-long hardware drivers ain't required.

12. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

Well.... it's kinda hard to say. Supposedly the 3rd antenna will boost range and connectivity against the shield of mbp's aluminium casing. I've tested both cards in my MSI Wind netbook, and the results are similar. So to me theoretical analysis is only a theory at best and doesn't affect me in my case.

Which card does MP uses anyway? IIRC, I think it uses the atheros card as well.

13. Phil A. thread starter Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

Yeah, the problem for me has always been finding one that's supported by the OS, and that works with 5Ghz. That's why I like the HP one as it uses the same chipset as the MBA so works like a dream. Could also be useful for anyone looking for an OS X compatible card for their Netbook / Hackintosh (although if you just want G speeds, there are much cheaper cards available)

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Oh yeah.. that's the UK thing. :rolleyes: Non of that 2.5Ghz ***** here.

15. dogbait macrumors regular

I didn't have a problem buying an Airport card from the Apple Store. I simply gave the model number of the card, and after they bought out a Macbook airport card by mistake they eventually found one for a Mac Pro in the 'back' and sold it to me without any problem.

16. maskedscientist macrumors newbie

Sorry, I came into this discussion late, but I need this product. Do you have a model number, anyone? Or a link where I can get it? Thanks, maskedscientist.