Mac Pro to HD TV Headache

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by K-Jack, Aug 23, 2010.

1. K-Jack macrumors newbie

Hey,

I'm looking to output my mac pro to my HDTV (cheap mans video output monitor). I got a DVI to HDMI connector and all the females and males seem to agree to the point that its all connected up rather well.

Only problem is that my mac pro only detects my computer monitor, not the TV that I've attached. Things to note:

* I normally run two monitors at 1920 x 1200. I just removed one and replaced with DVI > HDMI adapter going to TV.

* I can get the display to work in windows (although for some reason, although it outputs to the TV via HDMI the other screen stops working) so the connectors are working fine.

* I tried hooking up the monitor to the port, downgrade the res to something below 1080, then connected the TV again, no result!

* I couldn't get 1080 resolution on my screens as its not an option in the display preferences.

* Before anyone states the obvious (at this point even that would be helpful) I restarted every time I attached another display.

* I have searched google, apple support, and these forums and I feel im going insane.

To summarise, I havent seen my mac on the TV yet. Its staring back at me with a blank black. Not good!

Any help would be much apprecaited,

Cheers,
    K

2. Nautigar macrumors regular

Just a thought: If you have a VGA adaptor and your TV has a VGA input, try that.

I had some problems connecting a SAMSUNG LCD TV via HDMI as well. Although it worked, the Mac never used the TV's native resolution (768 lines). Via analog VGA, everything worked fine.

3. eponym macrumors 6502

Please tell us the TV model and what GPU you have.

4. K-Jack thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Nautigar,

Unforuntaly VGA isnt an option for the TV but I do have a HD project that it might work on so I'll give that a try.

Ideally I would like to get HDMI working since I need the output to be going onto the TV(its for video editing).

The TV is a Phillips FlatTV (I think 52PFL7762D).

Cheers,
    K

5. K-Jack thread starter macrumors newbie

Guys could really use some help here.

Cheers,

6. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

Your GPU? What video card are you using?

7. K-Jack thread starter macrumors newbie

Apologies, here is my GPU details:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce 8800 GT
    Type: GPU
    Bus: PCIe
    Slot: Slot-1
    PCIe Lane Width: x16
    VRAM (Total): 512 MB