Mac Pro to MacBook Pro?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by peejack, Jul 13, 2008.

1. peejack macrumors 6502a

Hi guys,

I currently have a Mac Pro quad 2.8 and really would like to get a laptop so I can take it places with me. I would love both but a)I can't afford it and b) I probably would end up using one more than the other.

I use it mainly for Logic Pro, but use dreamweaver and photoshop as I do design work.

My question is:

If I moved to a MacBook Pro one of the new ones would it still be ok for my audio projects? There is a big different in price from the 2.4ghz to the 2.5Ghz would the 2.4 be that much different.

Also what is the internal sound like on the MacBook Pro if I ran it straight to my monitors?

Would I regret getting rid of the Mac Pro?

Sorry for all the questions, hope someone can help me.

Thanks

2. bart rijksen macrumors regular

the 2.4ghz has a 3mb l2 cache, and the 2.5ghz has a 6mb. This is useful for big applications, plus you also get a 512mb video card instead of a 256. If it is worth it, it depends on how long you plan to keep it.
    The internal sound on a mbp is pretty decent. You could also buy speakers, and just plug them in. you probably won't regret it very much, if you moved from the Mac Pro, to the Macbook Pro. But it is probably good if you max out the ram.

3. nephilim7 macrumors regular

the cache difference is noticeable when using dsp plugins. Go for the 2.5.

I don't recommend the internal audio for critical listening. While good for listening and even rudimentary mixing or signal processing that you've done a billion times and know how it sounds, it is realtek. There is a another thread here http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=519509 where some people talk about some firewire interfaces from inexpensive to top of the line. If budget considerations are an issue, start with internal and keep an eye out for a good firewire on ebay or CL. I don't recommend USB interfaces as they are on the whole cheaply made and seem to be prone to bus noise.

best

4. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

MBP Audio

I don't know what the latest revision is like, but my revision has annoying buzzing that comes through when it's plugged into a power source. I only notice it with my Bose headphones and it's unhearable when music's playing, but once it stops... wow it's annoying.
    Perhaps the optical output would be a better solution. Oh, and through hi-fi speakers I can't hear the buzz, so you know. Monitor speakers may be more sensitive to the buzz, though. :rolleyes:

Plus, wait for the new MacBook Pro design! It'll be out by the end of the year!!! :D

5. peejack thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks for the replies. I was also seriously thinking about 17" Hi-Res model then I could do away with my 24" display?