Mac Pro touchbar 13" video fault

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stbr, Mar 10, 2017.

1. stbr macrumors newbie

Despite Apple saying that the Sierra update 10.12.2 would resolve the video/graphics problem, it did not, and nor does update 10.12.3.

I bought the machine for work and am told by the Apple Store at which I bought it that I have to return it and wait a month for a "possible" repair.

As the fault only occurs on a random, and sometimes infrequent basis, it could takes weeks for the repair shop to even replicate the problem.

That's going to be more expensive than throwing the machine in the trash bin.

Apart from the extended wait, I'll have to wipe the machine, find another computer to use in the meantime, then wipe that, then re-install everything on the Mac once again - in the hope that it just might work.

Beware!

2. Sanpete macrumors 68020

They won't wait to replicate the problem. They'll run their standard tests. If you can get video of the issue, that will help.

3. ZapNZs macrumors 68000

ZapNZs

(edit: Sanpete beat me to it! :p) Do you have a video of the graphics problems? This can be a helpful diagnostic tool. Also, does it happen randomly, or when doing certain tasks with certain programs?

Have you tried the updated beta of Sierra? (which IIRC entails a firmware update.) Users are reporting successful resolution IIRC.

4. stbr thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks. I've attached a couple of shots. The black (blurred) screen occurs on start up. The pixellated screen occurs at any time on any application. I don't have a shot of the black and white flashing screen that occurs before it shuts down. P_20170311_090613_vHDR_On.jpg P_20170307_073319_vHDR_On.jpg
    --- Post Merged, Mar 10, 2017 ---
    Again, many thanks, but I'm not familiar with IIRC. What is it and where would I find it?

5. Sanpete macrumors 68020

Give them the shots of the glitches and they'll likely replace the logic board. You can try to talk them into replacing it, and letting you keep the one you have until they send you a new one.

IIRC = if I recall correctly. You can find the latest public beta of Sierra at this link. You have to sign up, but it isn't hard to do. You'll want to back up your data before any update.

https://beta.apple.com/sp/betaprogram/

6. stbr thread starter macrumors newbie

Many thanks once again. I'll give the beta update a try.

7. Calby macrumors 6502

Calby

Try this steps.

1. Nvram and smc reset.
    2. Clean installation of macOS 10.12.3 boot from cmd+r go in to Disk utility then erase the machintosch hd drive.
    Then Close the window. Then click on reinstall macOS.

If nothing of that helps then try the Beta.
    I'm almost sure that if you do 1 and 2 it will solve your issue.
    This looks exactly like the bug in macOS and maybe your kex files didn't update correctly when you updated macOS.

8. jimgl macrumors newbie

I had the pixelated login screen after a cold startup using 1280 x 800 resolution setting. Problem was resolved after upgrading to Sierra 10.12.3.

Jim

9. stbr thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you. I've tried 1. and 2. but the crash occurred yet again this morning. I'll try the beta upgrade when I get a chance. Thanks again.
    --- Post Merged, Mar 12, 2017 ---
    Thanks for your suggestion. I'm already on Sierra 10.12.3. I've tried a few different resolutions but no success so far.

10. stbr thread starter macrumors newbie

None of the suggestions are working. But thanks anyway. I should perhaps also mention that the computer runs very hot and sometimes now just stalls. Then of course I have to force shut down and restart. I'm not using any intensive apps when it gets hot - just email and stuff. Gets too hot to touch the back on occasions. I have to switch off and wait for it to cool down.

11. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

It sounds like you have a dud, I'm afraid it happens, contact Apple and get it replaced.