Mac Pro tower - just too big.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by WardC, Nov 2, 2009.

1. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

We've had these towers since the G5 era...they are big as refrigerators. Many (many) in the mac community have been hoping for a smaller, streamlined tower for a long time. You remember the old PowerMac 9500 with SIX PCI slots -- even that tower wasn't nearly as big at the Mac Pro tower. THe major advantage to the Mac Pro tower size it's ability to hold 4 internal drives. I am sorry, but I think the tower is just a bulky monster of metal and it's just way too big and way too heavy. Some might like that, but personally I think it's time to size down to something more liftable with less impact on the deskspace (or space below). Maybe when Apple replaces HD technology with SSD we will see the sizes of the tower shrink. The current Xeons with the heatsinks take up quite a bit of space as well. The tower is simply a mammoth of aluminum, and it's heavy. Really heavy. Sorry if this post sounds like a pointless vent, but I felt like it was an issue worth addressing.

2. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

What do you suggest. iThink that it looks beautiful and the size allows for easy upgrades and tons of options. I'd much rather have it three inches higher then thirty degrees hotter.

3. iWright macrumors member

Yeh Its part of the "pro" range so the rest of the apple ranges make up for the compromises the mac pro makes for expandability and power in terms of style and shape.

4. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

I think it's boxy, it's the size of a refrigerator, and it looks like a metal locker in a locker room. Apple's always had a high end machine with massive upgradability (Mac II/IIfx, Mac Quadra 840av / Quadra 900/950, PowerMac 8500/9500, PowerMac G3 tower, PowerMac G3 B&W, PowerMac G4 tower, PowerMac G5, and now Mac Pro)

Those are all I can think of right now. All took massive RAM and expansion card upgrades (and multiple hard drives)

I guess Apple still feels the need to have a massive-sized, super-expandable pro system in their arsenal. I'm not talking about doing away with a Pro tower AT ALL, just talking about streamlining the case design a bit so it's not 4 feet tall and 120lb (I am exaggerating a bit)

5. cube macrumors G5

Yes, it's too big. A single hexacore with just a couple drives and PCIe slots is needed.

6. Grimace macrumors 68040

Grimace

Other than making a smaller power supply and only using one optical drive, there isn't much you can do to reduce the size.

Four HDDs and large motherboards are essentially standard in pro rigs. The latter is actually the toughest thing to change.

[​IMG]

7. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

The Mac Pro is not much bigger than an ATX Mid Tower. It's just the handebars that make the case appear bigger than it is; also the aluminium is super thick which you can't really get anywhere else.

8. admo macrumors member

I pulled my Mac Pro off my side table the other day to install a new Hard Drive. I too was amazed my the size and weight of it. But upon opening it, I remembered why it is so big, and how nice! Took longer to open the hard drive packaging than to install the drive. And as a bonus, didn't need the data cable, the power cable, or the screws that came with the drive. Reviews online for the drive (a 1TB western Digital) said installation is easy, done in less than 20 minutes. How about about 4 minutes on a mac pro! 4 screws, slide it in, and done.

9. aibo macrumors 6502

Since it's not meant to be portable, I don't see why the size or weight even matters.

10. admo macrumors member

True. But Apple included those huge aluminum handles on the top, so when you do have to lug the thing around, it's pretty easy.

11. WardC thread starter macrumors 68030

WardC

That is one big major plus with the Mac Pro. Hard Drive installation is really THAT easy. The screws are already there in the bracket, you just slide the bracket out, screw the 4 screws into the drive, and slide the bracket with the drive back in its place. DONE!

12. TheStrudel macrumors 65816

TheStrudel

Size is quite possibly the stupidest thing to complain about in a Mac Pro. In something like an iMac, or a notebook, size is an issue. In a workstation desktop, large size allows for easy expandability and is therefore a desirable attribute. The Mac Pro cases are actually larger than the G5 cases for exactly this reason.

If you're making this complaint, I'm pretty sure you're not in the target market.

More valid complaints might include, but are not limited to:
    -More expandability for PCIe cards and drive bays.
    -Better airflow/cooling.
    -More I/O ports and options
    -More graphics card options.

While a more svelte computer could be desirable, asking for looks or smaller size over expandability and features in a machine like this is dumb, at best.

Also, a lot of people really like the cheese grater. I haven't seen a workstation in the same class with a look I like better.

13. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

+1

14. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Few days ago i was upgrading my MP graphics with 4890, and
    the thing is that you need to connect 2 power sockets in the
    corner of the mb which i found tricky to do.
    In that moment i asked myself, “Man why Apple didn’t made
    this slightly bigger?”. True story :)

15. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

You don't appear to understand the reality of the situation. If you make the box small and streamlined, where do you put the RAM, expansion cards, and CPUs? How do you cool it without making a lot of noise?

S-

16. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

The Mac Pro case is not too hot or too cold nor too big or too small... it's just right! :D

17. gotzero macrumors 68040

Compare the noise level to an XServe and then see if you still want a smaller case.

It they made a bigger one with more drive bays and PCI options (including more power) I would be all over it.

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Only 4 drives? Actually I have 8 drives in mine.. I'm still short on space however.

Really? There's no reason why you can take a hacksaw to the handles and round the corners off with a file. I'm guessing it'll be at least 800grams lighter! Just think, you'll have a unique selling appeal too! LOL

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

All high priority design criteria in enterprise systems (servers/workstations).

I'd actually prefer a larger unit, namely additional drive bays for RAID. But that's me. :p

Unfortunately, appearance is an afterthought, as it's not expected to be seen by the public, and it costs more to make the enclosure. But the internals on other vendor's systems are clean, and easy to replace components, easier than Macs, including the XServe.

20. Glen Quagmire macrumors 6502a

Smallest refrigerator I've ever seen.

Do you have any evidence for this assertion?

You're comparing a single CPU machine from over a decade ago with a 2009 computer? With two Xeons and an EATX motherboard? Do you expect to fit a pair of Xeons and all the associated circuitry on a tiny motherboard? The vast majority of proper workstation/server-grade motherboards are EATX. That's 12x13 inches. Add the space needed for a 1000 watt PSU and so on and there you go: one Mac Pro tower. Compared to some of the PC full towers I've owned, the Mac Pro is tiny.

It's = it is. "THe [sic] major advantage to the Mac Pro tower size it is ability to hold 4 internal drives" doesn't make any sense.

What happened to the many (many) people clamouring for a smaller Mac Pro tower? Have they all gone home or been abducted by aliens?

Yes, because hard drives take up so much space. If you take the side off your Mac Pro, it's the motherboard and the cooling stuff that dictate the size of the thing for the most part.

Would Intel Atoms be a better fit, perhaps? This is a workstation, not some cheapo piece of junk. It's supposed to be the most powerful Mac you can get. If you compromise on CPUs, then you compromise on power.

How often do you lift up/move your Mac Pro? I must have moved mine about three times this year, to clean underneath it and to upgrade it (and that's only because I bought a GPU and a replacement hard drive this year). Oh, and I redecorated. If the Mac Pro's weight is an issue, perhaps you should go to the gym.

To call your post a "pointless vent" is an insult to other pointless vents. And, once more, you revert to the first person singular. I'd call the missing persons helpline if I were you. All these Mac Pro owners gone missing. Perhaps Steve has had them "taken care of".

21. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Actually, no. At least not for servers. These days most enterprise customers are looking for as small a server as they can get with 1U being quite common. Since these servers go in racks in server rooms and data centers, noise is not a primary concern. Nor are expansion slots important.

S-

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

Noise is secondary on a server, but not with workstations. Cooling as well, as a workstation isn't located in a rack (no HVAC system in place, save that meant for human needs :p).

Same processors, but the case designs take on differing criteria. Easy access for component replacement is something they both share however, and is even more critical in rackmount servers IMO, as it affects multiple users.

And even the server market is still trying to increase the cards slots available when using a larger U sized enclosures. Obviously it's still limited compared to a workstation (which can hit 8 slots), but there's need for multiple RAID, FC, InfiniBand cards (combinations) to meet a specific use.

23. H. Flower macrumors 6502

The mac pro is nearly perfect in design. There is no reason for any major changes, at this point.

If presented with the option, Id actually choose a bigger case!

24. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

Everything is relative..

.. and maybe you're too small?

25. ildondeigiocchi macrumors 6502a

ildondeigiocchi

i like my Mac Pro just the way it is ... Big and bulky:D I just think the bigger the better... I'm actually hoping apple makes the case bigger next time around.:rolleyes: