Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SoundOfWinter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
I have a Mac pro 1,1 2.66 that has been upgraded to 6 gig of ram, 640 gig hdd and has a radeon 5770. It is still a good running comp but I have a baby on the way and am needing to free up space.

I have someone wanting to trade me a MacBook air 11" with the 1.6 c2d, 4 gig of ram and 160 gig hdd. I believe it is a MacBook air 3,1.

If I were to trade, would I be getting ripped a new anus? Or is this a decent trade for me? Thanks for any and all replies

Acorn

macrumors 68030
Jan 2, 2009
macrumors
there is something wrong with your specs the 11 inch air never shipped with a 160 gig hard drive. only 64,128,256, and 512 gigs.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I have a Mac pro 1,1 2.66 that has been upgraded to 6 gig of ram, 640 gig hdd and has a radeon 5770. It is still a good running comp but I have a baby on the way and am needing to free up space.

I have someone wanting to trade me a MacBook air 11" with the 1.6 c2d, 4 gig of ram and 160 gig hdd. I believe it is a MacBook air 3,1.

If I were to trade, would I be getting ripped a new anus? Or is this a decent trade for me? Thanks for any and all replies

Value wise, I think you'd be losing money on the trade. But if you need space, the Air is the way to go. Just so long as you don't mind the value loss.

SoundOfWinter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
What do you think the value is on my Mac pro? Seems like the 1,1 Mac pros aren't selling too well on eBay and I'm pretty certain I couldn't get anywhere close to what I paid for it back which is $1,200. I've tried putting it on Craigslist for 900 with no success

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
What do you think the value is on my Mac pro? Seems like the 1,1 Mac pros aren't selling too well on eBay and I'm pretty certain I couldn't get anywhere close to what I paid for it back which is $1,200. I've tried putting it on Craigslist for 900 with no success

I don't know what the value is per se, but just thinking of what can be done with the Pro compared to the Air is drastic. With the Air, it is pretty much stuck with the hardware it has, while the Pro is quite customizable and capable of being upgraded in certain areas.

This decision is all yours, no one here can make it for you. You need to weigh the pros and cons of the trade and figure out which one fits your needs best.

SoundOfWinter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Yeah you are right. One thing that bothers me is that the pro is approaching 7 years of age and is about to be dropped in support. It's crazy though because it still runs like a new comp. tough decision. My wife wants it gone though since it is in the bedroom our new baby is going in to.

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Yeah you are right. One thing that bothers me is that the pro is approaching 7 years of age and is about to be dropped in support. It's crazy though because it still runs like a new comp. tough decision. My wife wants it gone though since it is in the bedroom our new baby is going in to.

I would do the trade. I don't know what you used the MAC Pro for but if you're considering a trade for an older MBA, then I would assume that your computing needs or desires have changed. With the addition of a baby to the family(I don't know if this is your first or not) it's always good to have a portable machine so that your kids are not crawling all around cables and whatnot. Good luck and I hope you enjoy the MBA.

SoundOfWinter

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 7, 2011
Thanks for the advice Red! I originally bought the pro because I thought I would do some gaming and video editing with it. I also had always wanted a Mac pro since I got rid of my old g5. I did a little gaming but basically the only thing I do on the pro anymore is web browsing. I have a new iPad too so that gets quite a bit of use as well. Btw, this will be my 2nd kid. They sure grow fast :)

RedCroissant

Suspended
Aug 13, 2011
Thanks for the advice Red! I originally bought the pro because I thought I would do some gaming and video editing with it. I also had always wanted a Mac pro since I got rid of my old g5. I did a little gaming but basically the only thing I do on the pro anymore is web browsing. I have a new iPad too so that gets quite a bit of use as well. Btw, this will be my 2nd kid. They sure grow fast :)

Congratulations! And they definitely do. I have three and because of that, my wonderful iMac rarely gets used and has been turned into my media storage for my AppleTV. And because it's in my bedroom and my kids are never calm in there, I needed a mobile solution so that I could still get work done and watch them as well. So even though the values are not equal, the fact that you get to keep a Mac and have more mobility will definitely make you feel better about the trade even if you end up missing the Pro. And who knows, maybe when they're old enough not to mess anything up and play by themselves, Apple might release an updated model.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.