Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rezatayebi

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 5, 2007
I have 3 Mac Pro`s which I use for rendering 3d scenes in maya.
Two of them are first generation which I bought in 2007. Both of them, recently, shut down automaticly without warning (while working on heavy scenes in maya).
At first, I thought this problem has to do something with the new Maya 2010. So I uninstalled it and started using the older version. But the problem did not go away...
I have tried many things, from cleaning up the hardware to formating the hard drive. still not luck :(

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
I have 3 Mac Pro`s which I use for rendering 3d scenes in maya.
Two of them are first generation which I bought in 2007. Both of them, recently, shut down automaticly without warning (while working on heavy scenes in maya).
At first, I thought this problem has to do something with the new Maya 2010. So I uninstalled it and started using the older version. But the problem did not go away...
I have tried many things, from cleaning up the hardware to formating the hard drive. still not luck :(

It might be over heating. See if you can get some utility to monitor the temps. Hope you have apple care :)

alphaod

macrumors Core
Feb 9, 2008
NYC
Do they go through the normal shutdown procedure or just go out like someone pulled the plug?

BHamilton

macrumors newbie
Nov 7, 2009
Canada
I pulled out the fan cage slightly to access the ODD ports, turns out the fan connector didn't re-seat properly. System shut down on me. Overheat may be the culprit as other said.

Check your fans!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.