Mac Pro UK Ram...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by acearchie, Oct 29, 2009.

1. acearchie macrumors 68040

acearchie

So I am looking for the cheapest UK ram for the 2009 Nehalem Mac Pro.

I myself have a quad and am looking for the cheapest 12GB kit.

I'll set the ball rolling with Crucials - £625 for 12GB!!!

Please find me cheaper than that!

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You can use Registered modules in your Mac Pro so you can do it for £300. You can also import from OWC for around £350. I realise neither are ideal, but then neither is paying twice the price. There is also a german store which people use which has good prices and I think an eBay seller that does too.

3. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

By registered do you mean Non-ECC? Do you reckon it's worth the risk. I think I would prefer to stick with ECC if I can afford it.

Thanks for the help though!

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

No I mean Registered ECC instead of Unbuffered ECC. It should be more expensive due to technology/features, but isn't due to demand. You can use non-ECC too, but that is usually more expensive than unbuffered ECC when it comes to 4GB DIMMs, for the same demand reasons. These should work without issue in your Mac Pro.

Plenty of people use OWC in the UK though for Mac Pro memory, your only real concern should be the return issues, but you will be getting memory certified for your Mac Pro.

5. acearchie thread starter macrumors 68040

acearchie

Thanks for the link. So, so far I could kit out my Mac Pro with 12GB for around £300.

I might start saving then