Mac Pro UK ram

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by kxfrog, Apr 11, 2010.

1. kxfrog macrumors regular

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

3. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

Need Unbuffered not Registered RAM for Apple

The RAM you link to is registered RAM. Apple systems specify unbuffered ECC RAM and the two don't mix. This is unfortunate as the unbuffered RAM has been much more expensive for 4GB sticks (I may be out of date).

Apple also specify a thermal chip on the RAM modules, some have them and some don't. I have a Dell T5500 workstation and my memory (which is registered 4GB sticks) does not have a thermal chip
    which is annoying (because I'd like temperature feedback) but it doesn't matter for the Dell but I think the Mac Pro complains if it can't get a temperature reading (it probably still runs but
    produces annoying messages and the fan control may not work properly).

Looking through Scans offerings the following may be ok but you'll need to check, in particular whether it has a thermal chip
    http://www.scan.co.uk/Products/2GB-...00-(1066MHz)-240-Pin-ECC-Unbuffered-CAS-7-7-7

but it is only 2GB sticks, they probably don't do 4GB unbuffered because it is so pricey.

If you replace all your RAM with registered this may work, the Nehalem chips should talk to it but I've not yet seen a definitive post from someone who has done this, though others have posted to say that others have said it's ok.

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

http://forums.macrumors.com/showpost.php?p=8714642&postcount=5 here is such a post and on another note the 8GB modules OWC sell are registered.

5. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

Thanks for that post Umbongo, I've been curious about that ever since the Nehalem Pro came out in March last year. The theory said it should work but it's an expensive experiment to try. Though, personally speaking, I ended up with a Dell that was going cheap I've still been curious to know the answer.

Apple does fix some things, in particular it won't run 1333MHz RAM at full speed even when the CPUs are designed for it.

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

I think it would if all sticks were 1333MHz. If one is 1066MHz and others are 1333MHz, they will all be running at 1066MHz.

Quad iMacs are able to run 1333MHz RAM at its full speed so can't see why Mac Pros wouldn't

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Apple limited the memory speed in firmware on the Mac Pro, 1333MHz DIMMs don't work as it has been tried. Most likely because there were cost savings to only using one type of memory and they didn't want add another reason to not buy memory from them directly and it was a simple setting to change. They can't turn off support for Registered memory like that.

8. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

thanks for the help... but does anyone know for certain if the ram i linked to would work with a temperature reading and if not does anyone know any good reputable stores that sell ram for the mac pro in the uk? thanks

9. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

It should work, it just won't report the temperature. Don't forget you can return any item in the UK that you get through the post for a full refund within 7 days of delivery. Kingston have a 12GB kit that is around £500 (KTA-MP1066K3/12G), if that is still too much then you will need to think about ordering from OWC which should run you around £375 with shipping and VAT. Many UK Mac Pro owners buy from OWC due to the great prices.

10. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

11. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

I thought about owc but if the ram doesn't work what would happen what would I have to do?

12. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

OWC sells very high quality RAM which is system specific so the chance that it won't work is bigger than winning the lottery...

They have lifetime warranty so just contact them and you will get new RAM ASAP

13. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

I don hve to send it back then if I get faulty ram and pay shipping charges. Also would I get taxed on top of the ram and shipping fees

14. Transporteur macrumors 68030

These definitely work.

Ebay.de

£440 with the current exchange ratio, but 10 years of warranty and no taxes to the UK. Definitely cheaper than the 105 quid per stick you listed.

15. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If the RAM you get is faulty, OWC will send you new RAM for free and pay the shipping for the defective RAM, I think.

http://eshop.macsales.com/Service/warranty_info.cfm#s9

16. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

I think your maths may be a bit faulty. 4x£103 = £412 < £440!

17. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Oh boy! I'm getting old... :eek:

Thank's for the heads up. :)

18. Gonk42 macrumors 6502

I know the feeling!:)

19. Igantius macrumors 65816

kxfrog, what did you end decided to get in the end?

20. kxfrog thread starter macrumors regular

I ended up buying 12 GB of RAM from OWC (3x4 GB) they work perfectly and cost about £360 including fedex came in 2 days!!! VAT cost about £60 so pretty good price and much cheaper than crucial.

Would highly reccomend!!!

21. ithinkitsnice macrumors member

Mine came from OWC to UK in only 2 working days as well. Works perfectly.

As far as 'no taxes' go, that's just your luck. Although DIMMs are 0 rated for import duty, you are still supposed to pay VAT on anything you purchase abroad and import. Whether or not HMRC actually notice your package is another thing, but always be prepared for it.

22. Igantius macrumors 65816

Two days? Wow, that’s good.

One thing with OWC, I never can decided with shipping to go with – thanks for all the advice!

Two day? That’s good too! ;)

Interesting about what you said about the duty – I didn’t know that was 0 rated. I was very much factoring in the VAT, but if I got lucky well, that would just be a bonus!

23. ithinkitsnice macrumors member

I went for the second shipping option for about $20-something, FED Ex Priority I think. Possibly was lucky with flight times lining up with the shipping from OWC.