Mac Pro unable to sleep

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by frostyintrepid, Nov 30, 2008.

1. frostyintrepid macrumors newbie

Hi All,

I have just done an archive and install on my mac pro and experiencing strange problems.

Whenever I put the system to sleep, it just wakes up after a second!

It doesn't help when I verify and repair permissions. Sigh.

Wish someone could help me here!

2. ekwipt macrumors 6502a

Have you got your hard drives set to never sleep, they'll wake up the computer from sleep everythime

3. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

^ no that setting prevents all hard disks from spinning down while awake.

try resetting the SMC.

4. Infrared macrumors 68000

Infrared

5. Mhaddy macrumors 6502

Mhaddy

I intermittently have this problem... sometimes my MP will stay sleeping, other times it'll wake up randomly. I've found that open applications can trigger this (notably Firefox) -- will check on the WoL when I get home.

Edit: I don't have WoL enabled but wouldn't you know it, I put the MP to sleep and left Firefox open... an hour or so later, it awoke. Closed Firefox and it's been sleeping ever since!

6. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I've had this problem (combined with overactive hard drives and extremely loud fans) ever since the Oct 07 firmware update. I have been searching for a solution all this time, fruitlessly.

:(

I never had problems with ANY of my PPC macs (and I've been on them nearly twenty years) but my MP has had serious issues since that frakking update.

7. jive turkey macrumors 6502

What programs do you have that you use regularly? There is a bug at Mozilla right now about Firefox keeping Macs awake/waking them up immediately (and there is a workaround that has solved the problem on my machine).

Also check your log files. I was having a bunch of issues (sleep included) and couldn't figure out what was going on until I finally checked the logs (should have done that first!). I had an app that did not fully uninstall and was trying to launch an non-existent process every 10 seconds.

8. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I don't know if this is directed towards me or the OP or both, but...

Regular apps: Safari (rarely Firefox, crashes more on me), Azureus, iChat, iTunes, Stickies, Excel - Safari and Stickies are running at all times my computer is on

How do I check my log files? That sounds like a good idea. I have a ton of software so I could see something like what you experienced being the issue.

9. jive turkey macrumors 6502

Use the Console app, located in the applications-->utilities folder. It gives several logs. I'm not smart enough to know which ones are critical, but I can tell you that my problem showed up under "console messages." I hit the "clear display" button and sat there and watched and saw these processes trying to start.

10. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

Do you have any additional hardware installed in the expansion bays?
    Such as RAID cards, SATA controllers?

11. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

this is the same thing i was going to ask. i find hardware all the time that causes this problem. a big one is usb card readers, like the 22-in-1 things. i've not found one yet that won't cause the 2 second sleep problem as listed above. best of luck.

12. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I know how to use Terminal (to an extent), but it's a command line. I don't just 'see' logs anywhere. How do I MAKE Terminal display the logs? Sorry if that sounds very stupid, but yeah. Google results keep telling me to do things (like look for tool bars - in Terminal?!?) that aren't there/possible.

13. 4JNA macrumors 68000

4JNA

you can browse to the logs location, or do it the easy way. applications>utilities> and double click on console. click the 'logs' button at the top left, and it will display all the log info for you. :)

14. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

My advice to the OP, is to take out any third-party expansion cards, then test to see does the system return to normal.. If it does, then it's not the SMC or PRAM that's causing the problem - you'll need to wait for new firmware from the card manufacturers to resolve the issue(s).

15. nanofrog macrumors G4

An answer to the added hardware in the PCIe slots would really help. ;)

Some hardware, such as RAID cards, will always prevent sleep by design, so new firmware won't usually change this. :eek:

16. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

We're both assuming the OP has added hardware...
    His/Her MP's sleep problem could lie else where!

17. nanofrog macrumors G4

:D

I did reiterate answers to the question would help. At least it could determine HW vs. SW. :p

18. UltraNEO* macrumors 601

UltraNEO*

My bad, i miss it :rolleyes:

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

:cool: Quite easy to do. At least for me. ;) :D