Mac Pro (Under XP) - 3DMark Tests

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Sveetly, Sep 1, 2008.

1. Sveetly macrumors member

Mar 12, 2008
    I was wondering why my Mac Pro under XP Pro is delivering lower scores in the 3DMark tests than PCs with similar specs.

An Intel Core 2 Quad (2.66GHz) with an ATI Radeon HD 3870 x2 and 2GB RAM scores 19137 3DMarks, while my Mac Pro, 2x2-Core Xeon (2.66GHz,) also with a 3870 x2 and 5GB RAM (Windows doesn't use it all - I know) scores a meager 12136 3DMarks (Both 3DMark06.)

I could understand that the Xeons probably aren't as good with games and graphics, but the difference is pretty large.

I get equally poor scores compared to the same computer in the PCMark05 tests. (8299 vs. 5136)

Any guesses to what might be going on?

ALSO: In tests with actual games, my frame rates were lower than comparable systems.
  2. macz1 macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2007
    Perhaps it's the relatively high memory latency of FB-DIMMS
    Mac Pros aren't really meant to play games with, which means that you have to accept somewhat lower fps. That's the cost of versatility and reliability. Nevertheless I find that a Mac Pro handles most games quite well.
  3. macz1 macrumors 6502

Oct 28, 2007
    And installing the newest drivers can also improve thigs considerably. If you are using the AMD bootcamp driver replace it by the newest standard catalyst driver (8.8 I think).
    Bootcamp drivers for windows are quite old (and senseless in my opinion)