Mac Pro Updates - When should I buy my Mac Pro?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by gazfocus, Jan 24, 2008.

  1. gazfocus macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #1
    Hi Guys (and girls),

    After much struggling, I've decided to buy a Mac Pro instead of an iMac. However, at the end of June, I am moving house, so I'm wondering whether I should wait til I move house before I buy my Mac Pro (i.e. one less thing to move (possibly 3, if I get the 2 ACD's)).

    Anyway, I know they've only just been updated, but do you think the Mac Pro's will be updated around June time? If so, should I wait until they are updated before ordering one?

    The ONLY reason I am thinking about this is because I don't want to buy a nice new Mac Pro, and have the hassle of having to move it in the near future to my new house.
     
  2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #2
    It really sounds like you don't need it right now. Wait until June. :)
     
  3. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #3
    Yeah, I have a powerful Windows PC and when the MBP's are updated I'll be buying one of those...Just don't want a Mac Pro to get damaged while I'm moving :)
     
  4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

    mad jew

    Joined:
    Apr 3, 2004
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #4
    I think it really makes sense to wait. Chances are reasonable that it'll get updated. Good luck with the move. :)
     
  5. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
  6. eviltobz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #6
    there's always a possibility of an update. but if you look at the mac pro's track record it seems unlikely that there would be one that soon. and looking to buy one that far down the line might get you caught up in the hype of waiting for the new nahalem thingy.
     
  7. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #7
    Yeah, that's what I'm worried about (I'm already caught up waiting for Penryn in the MacBook Pro's). I can see me not getting a Mac Pro til this time next year and that would be a nightmare.
     
  8. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

    edesignuk

    Joined:
    Mar 25, 2002
    Location:
    London, England
    #8
    Really, how hard is it to move a computer?

    I say buy now. The new ones are just out so you get that warm fuzzy feeling of having the latest and greatest for the longest amount of time, and you get to start enjoying it right away. Better still you avoid getting yourself caught up in the endless waiting game by delaying for 6 months, then starting to hope for a new next best thing which then fails to materialise for a further 6-12 months.

    In the words of Nike, Just Do It.
     
  9. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

    Artofilm

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #9
    If you do end up waiting, have fun with that.
    Mac Pros have gotta be the worst thing for waiting for.

    Since it's not a consumer product, no one talks about rumors of it being released. Apple also always seems to prolong the release of each one longer than you would think.

    Bottom line, the Mac Pro won't come out when you hope it does, expect it to be about 2 - 4 months later than that time (ie. you want it for June, it will most likely come out around september).

    But that's just my 2 cents and experience waiting for my Mac Pro. It was painful!
     
  10. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #10
    It's not that it's hard to move a computer, it's just that I'm in student accommodation, got far too much stuff to move already, etc, and I doubt I'd be able to keep the boxes to pack it all away again to move (which is particularly worrying about the ACD's)
     
  11. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

    ErikAndre

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #11
    Why I wouldn't buy the next Mac Pro...

    I would wait, but here's the thing. The new Mac Pro will be updated, but I for one am not going to buy that one (even if it were available today). Even if it comes with a full redesign and has Blue Ray support, blah blah... even if they throw in the Apple remote... I still wouldn't get it. Why? It will feature the new Nehalem chip set.

    Why is that important? Because it is a full redesign of the Intel processor, also eliminating the Front Side Bus. This is great news, as it will revolutionize the industry, but I know it will take Intel a few years to really make it a great chip... When the Mac Pro comes out in July/November/whenever, it will feature the very first version of this chip, with all its kinks, etc.... The industry will mature and evolve and v2 will come out which will be a big step up, then v3.

    Just to give you an idea, the whole Pentium line had many many kinks when it was introduced. It's just the fact of life. The Xeon chip (Penryn) that's in the Mac Pro's now are the seniors in their class... every fix and build and revision of the whole Intel line (and Xeon line) is all in this chip. That's why I've decided to buy the Mac Pro now and wait for that v3, v4 revision of the Nehalem chip (that is if I can't wait any longer).

    [​IMG]

    So... i know that's a lot to think about... but I just wanted to give you (and anyone else in this forum) a little insight of why I (for one) will not be buying the next Mac Pro revision. If I were you, I'd wait till you move, etc... then buy the Mac Pro... but go for the one that's out now. Just my $0.02.
     
  12. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #12
    Thanks :) I'm thinking maybe wait til I move and then just buy the best I can afford at that time, whether it's the current model or a new one
     
  13. G4DP macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 28, 2007
    #13
    The next update won't be until this time next year at the earliest. You might get a few more BTO options but thats it.

    Nehalem and the Caneland Platform don't arrive until next november at the very earliest. Even after release it'll take Apple at least two months to get the new chips in the machines.

    You've got a long wait.
     
  14. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #14
    Thanks. That's really useful info. I had heard about the Nehalem chip set but had no idea it was such a significant change. Sure, it would be nice to own such a revolutionary product but as you so rightly say, it will be possibly an extremely unreliable system for the Rev1.
     
  15. deathshrub macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Oct 30, 2007
    Location:
    Christmas Island
    #15
    :confused:

    No. No they aren't.

    Product Mac Pro
    Recommendation: Buy Now! - Product just updated
    Last Release January 08, 2008
    Days Since Update 16 (Avg = 217)

    You may want to wait if you want an updated cinema display, although those are likely to come out at WWDC and not some random point in June.

    To the original poster: if you want to wait because you think it would be easier to not move a huge computer and cinema displays, great. More power to you. But the chance of a MP update even in June is extremely low. If you want a MP now, buy it now. You will not be sorry.
     
  16. netdog macrumors 603

    netdog

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2006
    Location:
    London
    #16
    Boys, I think we've found ourselves the first real member-to-be of the "Official Waiting For Nehalem Club".

    It'll be a long and painful wait, btw, so just scoop up whatever is on offer in June. Trust me as I was a "Waiting for Penryn" victim.
     
  17. gazfocus thread starter macrumors 68000

    gazfocus

    Joined:
    Jan 3, 2008
    Location:
    Liverpool, UK
    #17
    I think my initial post has been a little misunderstood. Please note, I am not waiting in the hope of an update. My sole reason for waiting is the fact that I'm moving and have far too much junk to move as it is. I was just wondering if there's likely to be an update around the time I'm ready to buy.
     
  18. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    Kreplakistan
    #18
    Yeah,like all the huge problems intel had with CD and C2D.
    Yeah!! Wait! Wait!



    Yeah!! Just like the Xeon5100 series,the first macpros, wich were C2D design too! Yeah! Yeah! HUUUuuge problems. Enormous.Giganttic.Almost gargantuan.
    Wait,wait! Problems,sirens,disasters,cry!


    Jeesus...
     
  19. Kosh66 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 15, 2004
    #19
    Yeah, if you have alot too move already, then wait to buy it AFTER you move. Like you said, it's one less thing to move. As well, if you get a chance, try and filter out any junk you don't want to move. The less stuff you have when you move the better, no matter if you're getting friends to move it or a company.

    A small benefit of waiting to buy till after your move might be that you won't have to wait for so long for it to ship.
     
  20. eviltobz macrumors member

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    #20
    really REALLY try to keep boxes for displays. if not make extra double superstrength sure that you pack them well. after the trip back from a lan party a while ago the lcd i had taken had probably around 100-200 stuck pixels of various colours :( and i was pretty careful with how i placed it.

    fortunately it was still just under a year old, so i was able to swap it at the shop and ended up with a better screen :)

    acds do have a nice solid front unlike some lcds, but you really don't wanna risk it.
     
  21. siorai macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Sep 14, 2007
    #21
    1. Seriously. How hard is it to move a computer and a couple monitors? Even without the boxes it's dead easy. It's computer equipment not a delicate orchid. It can take being moved around. :p

    2. Look at how long it took for the current update of the Mac Pro to happen. Do you really think they'll update it again in the summer? I highly doubt it. Apple has far more important (mass consumer) issues to deal with. They've satiated the Pro-segment of their market, they can now go back to iPods and iMacs.

    3. The waiting game when it comes to computer equipment is a long, frustrating road. Eventually you have to either admit that you're never going to buy new hardware or just dive in and do it. There's always something better just around the corner.

    I just bought a Mac Pro. Did I need it right now? No. I really don't need it until the fall when I go back to school. There's no way that I would wait until then though. It's just too annoying. The current Mac Pro is a beast. It will still be a beast in the fall, next fall, and the fall after that. It will still be a beast if they do actually update it in the summer. It just won't be quite the e-peen stroking beast that the new one would be, but then again I don't care about that.

    I guess what it all comes down to is that most importantly Apple has not had a stellar track record for issuing Mac Pro updates. So you can either buy one now and use it and enjoy it, or sit around, wait for an update that more than likely will not happen and then buy the same system anyways.
     
  22. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

    rockinrocker

    Joined:
    Aug 21, 2006
    #22


    ummm, i gotta say, the transition to nehalem is gonna be a much bigger deal than moving to CD or C2D or any of the rest of them. it seems like there's a lot more involved than just updating the proc. yes, it'll be great once the kinks are worked out, but for my money, it's worth waiting to avoid the 1st gen hardware on that one....
     
  23. ErikAndre macrumors 6502a

    ErikAndre

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2007
    Location:
    Florida
    #23
    [​IMG]


    Some people just don't get it.
     
  24. bobbleheadbob macrumors 6502a

    bobbleheadbob

    Joined:
    Feb 6, 2007
    Location:
    Massachusetts
    #24
    I'm in the same boat, although probably moving a little earlier (March or April). We've got way too much stuff as well. I'm going to wait until after the move, fight with my wife over the best area for a workspace in the new house, "surprise" her with the delivery of a new MP, and then duck and run until she calms down.
     
  25. Macinposh macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2006
    Location:
    Kreplakistan
    #25

    Indeed.

    Even if this is a rumour site, it is "quite" retarded to state the downfall of nehalem at this point. Why not tout that in 2 years if will be totally dumb to buy the Sandy Bridge Macpro?

    When Core Core2Duo were released there were exactly the same arguments then.
    Pity that the transformation was about the smoothest and least painfull in the history of microprocessors...

    Intel has gotten grip of itself in the last years and for the moment,they seem to keep it.
    If they start to loose it then it is a another discussion.
    Until then the fearmongering is quite futile.

    So before burying the victim, at least wait untill it is dead.
     

Share This Page