Mac Pro Updates?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by jeffej, Jun 12, 2009.

1. jeffej macrumors newbie

My G5 iMac just died (again) and it's probably not worth putting (another) new motherboard in it. My intention was to replace both this one and my trusty old Dell when both Snow Leopard and Windows 7 were available and Apple updated their Mac Pro computers, but I guess I have to change plans. I hate buying computers unless they've been really recently updated but I can't find good information as to when new Intel chips my be released. An older rumor as least pointed to better graphics cards sometime in June.

I know some people will think it's ridiculous to wait for something I need and the Buyer's Guide still has a Buy rating on the Mac Pro, but I can hobble along with my Dell for a while if I need to. Hey, this is a big purchase that doesn't happen very often. Any tips would be appreciated.

Thanks,
    Jeff

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

New processors from Intel will likely come in Q1 2010 (32nm) and update isn't likely before that. Only update can be 3.2GHz Nehalems for ultimate high-end Map Pro. BTW, GTX285 is already available for Mac Pro, but not from Apple.

If you can hold your horses, wait, but current machines are very powerful already

3. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Maybe they will come with the new 30" LED Displays...

In all seriousness, the Mac Pro gets updated less then most of the product line, I don't think you would be disappointed now by any means...

4. jeffej thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys. I don't think I can wait for another 6 months if there aren't going to be any updates in between. Maybe I'll just do it now.

5. MilesParker macrumors newbie

Maybe..

The only caveat I would have here is that the initial Nehalam chips are crazy expensive. This is the way Intel works of course -- they price for the folks that need and can afford the very best at first and then drop prices.

That's why Apple has the two configurations; a fast quad core and a slow eight core. They just can't do a good base configuration with two processors that wouldn't scare people away with the price. So even if they don't actually come out with a higher clock speed machine it is likely that the part cost will come down. When that happens its likely that Apple will be able to ship a reasonably priced machine with two fast(er) CPUs.

-Miles

(who is perfectly happy with his eight core 2.8Ghz January 08, at least until I start mucking with OpenCL.)

6. geoffreak macrumors 68020

geoffreak

I don't think the news was posted here on MR when you wrote your post, but you can now buy the GTX 285 direct in the Apple online store.