Mac Pro Upgrades

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by ccashman92, Aug 12, 2010.

1. ccashman92 macrumors regular

Hey guys, I'm planning on buying a Mac Pro this year. I was wondering if I can buy last years model and just buy parts from this years (logic board, RAM, HD, etc.)? Is this possible? Would it be cheaper?

2. Major Reeves macrumors regular

If you want it cheap, you're not in the market for a workstation.

3. Lava Lamp Freak macrumors 65816

That would most likely cost MUCH more than just buying a 2010.

4. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

I'm not looking for cheap necessarily. Rather I am looking for saving money. I can get the HDD, RAM, and a Blu-Ray Optical drive for $400. I just need to find out where to get the casing and logic boards.

5. Major Reeves macrumors regular

You can't get a mac pro board by just going to a hardware store and looking for one. Even to get a replacement board, the broken board must be returned to apple.

6. VirtualRain macrumors 603

VirtualRain

Last years model and this years models are really the same... except for the CPU's and the firmware, so your question really makes no sense... just buy the machine with the CPU(s) that make the most sense for your workload.

7. ccashman92 thread starter macrumors regular

Intel sells the boards. So does eBay. I can get all the parts I need online for less then 4k. And I would spend 5k on what I want.

8. reel2reel macrumors 6502a

reel2reel

Sounds like an awful lot of time and aggravation to save a thousand bucks, but that's just me. Probably something to do with valuable time.

9. Transporteur macrumors 68030

Intel sells the Mac Pro logic board? Link please! I highly doubt that.

Anyway, are a thousand bucks worth the hassle, especially if you get a machine with no warranty or support whatsoever?

10. merneric macrumors member

No offense...but you seem to have a lot to learn re: mac pro logic boards. Just because intel, and several other manufacturers for that matter make boards with similiar specs, they are NOT the same boards. The apple boards are highly customized with rear ports to fit into a very proprietary mac pro case. The only place you can buy a mac pro board is from apple (or authorized reseller) and they are not cheap.

Sounds to me that you'd porbably be better off going the hackintosh route.