Mac Pro: Upgrading boot disk using time machine from RAID0 set

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by HeadForTheHills, Nov 1, 2008.

1. HeadForTheHills macrumors member

Having just got my hands on a 1TB WD Caviar Black drive, I'm wanting to replace the original 320GB disk.

Here's the complication : the other 3 bays are filled up with my RAID0 x3 scratch disk, onto which I've made a time machine backup.

Can I just pull out the current boot disk and replace it with the new one; use the OS-X disk to re-boot; and then expect the clean OS to find the RAID set and ask to do a time machine restore ?

Thanks,

Donald.

2. wilse macrumors newbie

Hi there

You said the raid is a scratch disk... is this for photoshop?
    Is this a software raid across three drives... or is it a hardware card?

If it's a scratch disc, how come you are you also running time machine on it?

wilse

3. HeadForTheHills thread starter macrumors member

The RAID disk grew as I tried to get better performance from PTGui while generating gigapixel panoramas. It's soft RAID but it provides a sustained 250MB/s transfer rate.
    [​IMG]

But as the main disk is only 320GB, there is now stuff that I have to keep on the 2.1TB raid volume. I really want also copy finished work on to the main disk.

My intention was to only temporarily use the, relatively unsafe, RAID0 as a time machine backup target - to allow me to do the 1TB upgrade. The other disks I have have less than 120GB of space remaining.

Guess my question comes down to: Is the software RAID structure maintained if I pull the current boot disk ? or pull the RAID disks out ?