Mac Pro Upgrading

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by merlin, May 20, 2010.

  1. merlin macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    #1
    Hello,

    I'm in a quandary. I've been wanting to upgrade to a new Mac Pro for the past few months & have been waiting (& waiting & waiting) for the next upgrade. I'm currently running on a 2.3GH G5 with 12 GB of RAM. My main apps are Final Cut, Logic and Pro Tools. I'm just starting a huge new project which includes a 3 hour HD video with 20 tracks of audio to go with it. While I can get by doing the audio mixing and editing quite nicely with my current machine I've a feeling that I'd be in for all sorts of problems attempting such a large video project on the G5.

    While I can hold out for another month or so - since I won't have the video for a while & must finish the audio first - I will have to get to work (productively) within a short time of acquiring a new machine.

    So here's the problem: Do I wait for the next greatest-mac-the-world-has-ever-seen Mega-Machine, & suffer through the inevitable system fixes & software upgrades, not knowing how long that will take, before I'm working efficiently, or do I buy one of the current Nehalem machines which by now, having gone through all of its associated new-machine pains, should be running smoothly? And if so, will I see a meaningful performance boost (with Final Cut & Logic) by springing for the 8-Core instead of the Quad?

    I am really torn here. Hell, I'd love to have the latest & greatest, but at the same time I've got to get up & running quickly. It's tough to look into our crystal balls & predict how much of a performance boost we're likely to see when next MP version is released, but I guess I'm asking for some educated guesses by some of you working pros out there!

    Thanks . . .
     
  2. Aldaris macrumors 65816

    Aldaris

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2004
    Location:
    Salt Lake
    #2
    I'm in a similar situation...

    Granted I don't have a big project on my desk right now. I am in the camp waiting to see what wwdc will bring, and whatever rumors may come up in the meantime.

    My plan is to get the new Mac Pro, if it doesn't pop up I'll get the 27" iMac and then when it Mac Pro is revised I'll pick one up and use e iMac as display and media machine.

    I'm upgrading from a Dual 1.25 MDD G4 and a Power Mac G5 Dual 1.8 (front fan is insane and doesn't get much use... I'll end up using it as mass itunes backup/apple tv server)

    However in your particular situation I would advise holding out through June and seeing what's on the horizon, if there is no news by July I'd go ahead and get the current model.

    Good luck!

    *** With a lack of Mac Pro news/rumors it's hard to say what kind of boosts we will have... Likely a 4/6/8/12 core line up, but again, that is up to your budget on what you can handle... Other than processors nothing is certain for the Mac Pro.
     
  3. merlin thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 27, 2003
    #3
    Mac Pro Upgrading

    Thanks for the input. I've actually tried the 3gh 27" imac & it's quite impressive. If I didn't need the PCI slots & didn't do so many "fat" projects I think I'd go for it considering the price etc. Alas my Pro Tools needs a slot as do some other video-related goodies.

    Good luck. I hope you can wait it out!
     
  4. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Apr 26, 2003
    Location:
    California
    #4
    Same basic issue - have ordered a current MP - no regrets.

    Coming fro a G5 - give me a break - the current Nehalem's will be stunningly capable.

    Final Cut - go with an 8 core - load it up with 16GB OWC ram.

    Like others - I'd like to wait for the new release but risking business doodling around over tech specs - no way.
     
  5. nanofrog macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #5
    Well, as you're earning a living with the system, getting something now makes much better sense. Clients tend to get really pissed over missed deadlines for some strange reason. :eek: :p
     

Share This Page