Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ActionableMango

macrumors G3
Sep 21, 2010
I think the big reason for LP is simplicity. One type of plug and cable to connect everything: The monitor, the printer, the external HDs, even the keyboard and mouse eventually. You won't need to worry whether you need a system with 3 USB and 2 FW and 1eSata, or 4 USB, 1 FW and an ethernet, etc. Then making sure you have enough cables of sufficient length on hand....

The simplicity of a single type of cable for everything appeals to me. However, I'm uncertain about this. If you add power for devices that need bus power, then you can't have really long cable runs for things like Ethernet. If you don't have power, you can do the long cable runs but then you can't have bus powered devices. So now we're already talking about two types of LP, powered and unpowered; or adding a powered hub, which means adding a power cable with wall wart and converting from one type of cable to another.

Not to be all negative though, this is still an improvement over the several different types of ports and cables we have now. I just don't think it's some sort of single-cable, clutterless, holy grail of cabling.

I had forgotten about Apples quest to reduce wires on the desktop. For this reason alone, we may see LP on mini and Imacs much sooner than other computers.

LP is still a wire. Well, a corded cable anyway. Apple's quest to reduce wires means bluetooth or something else like it in the future. I'm surprised their full size keyboard is still wired.

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
@nanofrog Yes, I agree the transition will be messy, with the hubs littering the desktop, but I expect that to be short lived. Although I wonder about thumb-drives. I think there will be a legacy USB port found on many systems, even if/when LP is widely adopted for thumb-drives. 1) because so many as so small that adding the bridge chip may make them too big, and 2) there are so many in use with valuable data that some people insist on a USB port until they can get around to transferring all the data to a different media. (Apple will ignore this segment, and abandon USB ports entirely the moment they can fit LP into their systems - is my prediction).
Even if peripherals get to the point the bridges are internal, there's still going to be cables (possibly via LP to LP Hubs as well) littering the desktop. Keep in mind, that the quantity of LP ports in the system will be quite limited (1, maybe 2). There's not enough PCIe lanes in chipsets yet (or will be when LP ships) to allow for more.

The initial bandwidth will also be an issue (10Gb/s), though some may not realize this. Think graphics for a moment; Dual Link DVI can generate 7.92Gb/s (Single Link 3.96Gb/s), and DisplayPort (includes MDP), can go up to 17.28Gb/s (more than LP can handle) just for a graphics signal.

So there will be a requirement for legacy ports for both compatibility with existing devices, but also to reduce the bandwidth passed over LP (at the initial release at least, as they're claiming it can go up to 100Gb/s, but will be some time before it does, and I expect it to be staggered).

My basic point, is that LP won't be some sort of "Magical Interface" that's going to clean up all the external clutter, be beyond super convenient, and be limitless in terms of what can be run (thinking simultaneously, as any bandwidth can be exceeded).

However.... LP allows Apple to rethink the way a desktop computer works, and I think Apple is looking for way to make that market exciting again. Apple has been very very good at making desktops into appliances (plug them in and they work, no fiddling with bits and bobs). But it's boring to make appliances.... there is very little cutting edge technological excitement. So, think about what LP will do (and imagine everything has transitioned, so no hubs) and keep in mind that LP cables can be used both externally and internally. Now, forgot about a "box".
They'll stick to silicon for internal devices, as it all requires PCIe lanes (USB, FW, SATA, audio, Ethernet,... all transfer their signals over PCIe), and it's cheaper.

As per Apple and their consumer systems, I suspect they're wanting to use LP as a replacement for most of the other external ports (expect graphics to remain separate for the initial LP release at least). This will be fine for the iMac, Mini, and especially the laptop systems, as these in particular have built-in monitors and keyboards, so it can get rid of FW and most of the USB ports (LP based Flash sticks would be too large, as theres more than just a chip; you'd require a LP transceiver as well).

It would be a nice addition to the MP, but not if it replaces other ports entirely. I can see tossing FW, but there is a need for at least a couple of USB ports (keyboards and Thumb drives).

But the HDs, if connected by LP, can be - anywhere. As could the graphics card. I suppose, theoretically, you could put the graphics card in the monitor, and use LP to connect the card to the CPU/RAM box. Certainly, if they stayed with a more traditional arrangement LP would eliminate the DVI, DP, Mini DP, HDMI, VGA, Mini DVI, etc confusion. One cable to needed to connect any display. Put two LP ports on a display, and you could daisy-chain displays to add more, rather than having to snake another cable back to the system.
External storage is a very strong candidate for LP for both capacity and throughput (depending on how it's implemented on the enclosure, as PM chips for example, would be the throttling point, but hardware RAID in a box could flourish).

As per graphics, users won't want the graphics card built-in the monitors, as it would mean a new monitor every time they want to upgrade the graphics chip. And there could be bandwidth issues sooner than you realize (see above). For smaller monitors, it would be fine (i.e. 24" and smaller). But for larger monitors, not so much, as it would consume nearly all of the bandwidth for Dual Link DVI, and can be insufficient for DP/MDP (quad link).

What I'd expect to occur for PCIe graphics cards, is if they go to LP, it will be a dedicated port on the back of the card, not the system. But then there's the problem of accidentally connecting a peripheral device to the card (non monitor), and the graphics card not be capable of passing the data through to the system.

Or, imagine the power of a 12 core Mac Pro in a box 1/3 the size because all the HDs are now "external" and can be located just about anywhere. (Take this a step further - imagine the flexibility of ZFS file system with a rack of HDs where you can add and remove HDs the same way you do in a Mac Pro.) The optical drive is incorporated into the monitor (like an iMac without the processors) - and in fact the monitor may act as the hub for the bits and bobs that you need on your desk. Plus the monitor would have Bluetooth for the wireless things.
This type of thinking is fine for an AIO/consumer grade system (iMac, Mini, laptop), but not a workstation or server (MP and XServe respectively).

The simplicity of a single type of cable for everything appeals to me. However, I'm uncertain about this. If you add power for devices that need bus power, then you can't have really long cable runs for things like Ethernet. If you don't have power, you can do the long cable runs but then you can't have bus powered devices. So now we're already talking about two types of LP, powered and unpowered; or adding a powered hub, which means adding a power cable with wall wart and converting from one type of cable to another.

Not to be all negative though, this is still an improvement over the several different types of ports and cables we have now. I just don't think it's some sort of single-cable, clutterless, holy grail of cabling.
Exactly. It certainly has it's merits, but it won't be the 'Magic Solution" to wires and clutter.

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
How about newertech esata card is it hot swapable?

I've been trying the Newertech raid esata card. I haven't figured how to get hot swap to work in OS X. In Boot Camp Win 7, I was unable to get my drives to show at all although they were formatted with the HFS file system and I was using Macdrive. The drives were Gtech drives, which already have Raid 0 on them so that may have been the issue...I'm not sure.

Unplugging a drive, while the PC is on, causes a fire alarm loud squeal, very unpleasant. It also adds a pretty significant delay in booting into Boot Camp, plus a text based BIOS screen, so I have just removed the card.

I'm willing to try other options, but I'm thinking USB 3 is sounding pretty good right now!

nanofrog

macrumors G4
May 6, 2008
I've been trying the Newertech raid esata card. I haven't figured how to get hot swap to work in OS X. In Boot Camp Win 7, I was unable to get my drives to show at all although they were formatted with the HFS file system and I was using Macdrive. The drives were Gtech drives, which already have Raid 0 on them so that may have been the issue...I'm not sure.

Unplugging a drive, while the PC is on, causes a fire alarm loud squeal, very unpleasant. It also adds a pretty significant delay in booting into Boot Camp, plus a text based BIOS screen, so I have just removed the card.

I'm willing to try other options, but I'm thinking USB 3 is sounding pretty good right now!
What system model and firmware revision do you have?

I ask, as it seems 2009 systems with some firmware revisions have problems with eSATA cards (won't work; OS X or Windows).

Ryan P

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2010
What system model and firmware revision do you have?

I ask, as it seems 2009 systems with some firmware revisions have problems with eSATA cards (won't work; OS X or Windows).

I've got a new 2010 Hexcore. I probably could have played around with it longer, but the card was proving a little frustrating for me and I really wasn't seeing that huge of a real world performance boost over Firewire 800 on my Gtech drives so I was pretty happy to yank it out!

PenguinMac

macrumors member
May 21, 2010
I've got a new 2010 Hexcore. I probably could have played around with it longer, but the card was proving a little frustrating for me and I really wasn't seeing that huge of a real world performance boost over Firewire 800 on my Gtech drives so I was pretty happy to yank it out!

I have the same Mac Pro, but my experience with the NewerTech card has been quite different. While some drive enclosures will hot-swap, others like OWC's Elite 3.5-inch enclosures will not. Since they're backup drives, it's not a problem to reboot and have them mounted during the boot-up process. After boot-up, the wait is well worth it as their transfer speeds are 20-30 Mbs faster than firewire's 60-70b Mbs, saving me hours off my backup times.

StofUnited

macrumors member
Jul 30, 2010
LP on Current 2010 MP

So - when LP comes out - will a 2010 MP be able to add an LP card (ie. PCIe card with Light Peak)? Does the PCIe port on my 2.8 Quad have the capability in power speed, etc. to handle a 'future built" PCIe LP card?

dclussier

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Just wanted to add that we purchased two of the CalDigit USB 3.0 cards about two weeks ago for our two Mac Pro I/O workstations. They both work fantastically well and we are using SeaGate GoFlex Pro drives as well as a Sans Digital TowerRAID that both support USB 3.0. Speed's great, the driver is simple and integrates well with 10.6.2 (latest version of OS X certified for Media Composer 4.0.5), System Profiler shows an additional USB "SuperSpeed" bus.

We're able to copy 5.8GB (1,053 files) to the GoFlex over USB 3.0 in 57 seconds and copy from it in 54 seconds. With the FireWire 800 cable the same data took 1 minute 43 seconds to copy to the GoFlex and 1 minute 28 seconds to copy from. The combo of the CalDigit USB 3.0 card and the GoFlex Pro drives are now our preferred transfer medium.

We've got 3 of the GoFlex drives and are going to buy a bunch more. Now we just need to get the rest of our vendors to upgrade to USB 3.0 as well. At least with the GoFlex drives we can send the FW800 cable if they don't have USB 3.0 support yet.

xgman

macrumors 603
Aug 6, 2007
Just wanted to add that we purchased two of the CalDigit USB 3.0 cards about two weeks ago for our two Mac Pro I/O workstations. They both work fantastically well and we are using SeaGate GoFlex Pro drives as well as a Sans Digital TowerRAID that both support USB 3.0. Speed's great, the driver is simple and integrates well with 10.6.2 (latest version of OS X certified for Media Composer 4.0.5), System Profiler shows an additional USB "SuperSpeed" bus.

We're able to copy 5.8GB (1,053 files) to the GoFlex over USB 3.0 in 57 seconds and copy from it in 54 seconds. With the FireWire 800 cable the same data took 1 minute 43 seconds to copy to the GoFlex and 1 minute 28 seconds to copy from. The combo of the CalDigit USB 3.0 card and the GoFlex Pro drives are now our preferred transfer medium.

We've got 3 of the GoFlex drives and are going to buy a bunch more. Now we just need to get the rest of our vendors to upgrade to USB 3.0 as well. At least with the GoFlex drives we can send the FW800 cable if they don't have USB 3.0 support yet.

Thanks for the info. there are so many usb 3.0 devices coming out on a weekly basis. This seems like an easy and inexpensive upgrade for the MP.

dclussier

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
be aware that the goflex have poor ventilation and the 3TB are i think 7200 5 platter discs - either way they generate lots of heat.

i've removed my 3TB from the case and had a look at the SMART peak temp - showed as 62 degrees.

Annand showed 70 iirc and it slowing down as heat build up caused errors.

i've decided to keep the disc as an internal and put something like an older greenpower in the case.

also the top cap can be left off the case when you reassemble it - this should let it run a little cooler too.

The drives we have are GoFlex Pro 500GB portable drives (2.5"), not the desktop drives. We have not noticed them getting particularly hot even after a time consuming and voluminous data transfer session. They actually run cooler than the LaCie and G-Tech drives we were using primarily before.

For non-mobile storage we only use RAID or SAN devices attached via eSATA (for backup volumes) or SAS and Fibre (for working volumes).

Transporteur

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2008
UK
I'm not sure it it has been asked before, but is there a single card that provides both USB 3.0 and eSATA 6Gb/s?

barefeats

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2000
Why 5Gb/s USB 3.0 is slower than 3Gb/s SATA

I've been testing both LaCie and CalDigit USB 3.0 host adapters (PCIe and ExpressCard) on the Mac Pro and MacBook Pro. CalDigit's adapters have one big advantage: they work with all USB 3.0 enclosures. LaCie's adapters only work with LaCie USB 3.0 enclosures.

After posting some benchmark results, I pointed out that the 5Gb/s USB 3.0 adapters were slower than the 3Gb/s SATA adapters. I received a very interesting response from Chris Karr one of the engineering directors of Western Digital where he explains why USB 3.0 adapters are slower and how the bridge chips in adapters could be modified to squeeze out the full speed potential of USB 3.0. I posted it on this page under the subtitle "COUNTERPOINT":
http://www.barefeats.com/hard136.html

Bubba Satori

Suspended
Feb 15, 2008
B'ham
Yep, huge speed up over USB2.

h136_sr.gif

h136_sw.gif

http://www.barefeats.com/hard136.html

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
How about newertech esata card is it hot swapable?

As I understand it, if the connected drive shows an "Eject" option in its contextual menu then the drivers are in place for hot-reinsertion as well. If the option isn't there, then it isn't supported.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.