Mac Pro using 2007 iMac as secondary display

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Chrisg2014, May 29, 2012.

1. Chrisg2014 macrumors regular

So, in 2007 I received a 17in iMac for my Birthday, then in 2010 I won a Macbook 13 inch from my school, so my dad made me give my iMac to my sister. Well yesterday was her birthday and she got a 13 in macbook pro. So I got my iMac back. Well before christmas, I bought my self a Mac Pro for Final Cut Pro and some heavy duty processes. I really don't have any use for the iMac, and I'm not going to get very much for it if I were to sell it because my sister some how managed to have it fall of her desk. It works, it just has some wavy lines on the side it feel on. Nothing to managed, God help that Macbook she got, I hope it lastes longer then her phones. So I'm thinking I can use it as a secondary display, can anyone tell me how one might go about doing it?

2. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Unfortunately only the 27" iMacs can be used an external display.

3. Chrisg2014 thread starter macrumors regular

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Because only they have the needed Target Display Mode. Target Display Mode is when you connect an external device to the iMac's mini-DisplayPort. Any other non-27" iMac does not have the needed wiring or software to make it work.

5. Chrisg2014 thread starter macrumors regular

6. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Apple did nothing wrong. The technology to be able to have an iMac with Target Display Mode didn't exist in 2007.

7. paulrbeers macrumors 68040

It's also "only" a 17" display. You can get cheap 22" 1080P monitors for only about $100 anymore which will use a lot less power (since even if it did have target display mode you would have to leave on your iMac at all times to use it) and give you more resolution and size.

Forgot about this solution: If you really want to do the above, you could use this:

http://itunes.apple.com/us/app/air-display/id419449718?mt=12

I tried it for awhile. It does work. a little laggy, but it does work.