Mac Pro using 27" iMac running Windows 7?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by tsmiller, Dec 1, 2009.

1. tsmiller macrumors newbie

Iv'e been thinking about this. Will it work?

Buying an new 27" iMac for the display for my Mac Pro, then installing Windows 7 via Boot Camp on the iMac for use as a second machine. Will I be able to switch modes using the command-F2 keyboard shortcut?

Many thanks.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

Why don't you install Windows 7 on the Mac Pro and use the iMac only as the display?

It's overkill for just using the iMac as a display.

3. mfka macrumors regular

mfka

Totally agreed here.

I really can’t understand why would one do such a thing. It is waste of
    energy, nonsense. Besides i am not really sure that imac as a screen can
    be better than display in terms of picture quality, maybe i’m wrong here,
    but still use computer as a screen, uuh so repulsive.

4. TheSpaz macrumors 604

TheSpaz

He wants Mac OS X running on his Mac Pro and Windows running on his iMac. Then he'll have the ability to switch operating systems with a flick of a short keyboard command. What's not to understand.

5. gugucom macrumors 68020

gugucom

Running Windows only on an iMac is possible as it is with any other Intel Mac. You can partition the main HDD and use it for Windows or you partition it for Windows and OS X at your preference.

6. frimple macrumors 6502

This would only be supported if Target Display mode was setup in the bootcamp drivers. My gut says no, it would not be possible. At any rate you'd need two keyboards hooked up, one to the 27 to command your display mode and another to whatever mac would be using it in target mode.

7. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That's another of one of my concerns as well.

If you're just going to use the iMac as a display then it might be worth waiting for the Dell U2711.

In any case I'd run Windows in the Mac Pro and OS X on the iMac in this situation.

8. tsmiller thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the responses.

I'm currently running Windows 7 on a separate hard drive on my Mac Pro.

I like the idea of the bigger screen, and the iMac is $100 less than the 30" ACD. I also like the idea of quickly switching between the two systems, although the two mouse/keyboard thing is a little awkward.

9. treoguy macrumors member

Has anyone tried this yet? I also have a Mac Pro, considering iMac as target display. Would this work under Windows 7? I'm thinking no...but figured I'd ask.

10. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

The iMac would more than like need to stay running OS X but the external computer can run Windows 7. It appears the 4890 with Display Port output works but not the newer HD 5000 series.

No word on a Display Port equipped 9500 GT, yet

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=806529

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=806803

11. davidelkington macrumors newbie

I guess the only way is to try it?

I am interested in installing Windows Server 2008 on my iMac, which I am using as a display for my MacPro 8 core 2.8Ghz. I have a 24" LED screen next to it which my mouse is plugged into, and I would like to use my small keyboard that came with the iMac as a keyboard to the "Server". I want to use it as a web server, which will be on all the time, and would be really cool if I could just switch to it with a keyboard shortcut.

Failing this, I guess I could try setting it up as a VM.

If I get time at the weekend, I will try installing and post back.