Mac Pro using WAY too much RAM

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by liorp, Oct 24, 2013.

1. liorp, Oct 24, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2013

liorp macrumors newbie

liorp

Hey, everyone!
    I have a mid-2010 Mac Pro with 6 GB's of RAM. Before I upgraded to Mavericks, I would have about 3-4 gigs FREE. Now, I only have one or less.

To give you an idea of what I run on my mac: ProTools 10, Adobe Premiere CS6, FCP X, Photoshop CS6 and a web browser (Can be Chrome/ Safari/ Firefox).

Is this a known issue or is something wrong with my computer?

Thanks for the help :)

2. LV426 macrumors 6502a

I wouldn't worry about it. Unused RAM is wasted RAM. They've likely optimised Mavericks to make use of what's available. The entire memory management system has been greatly overhauled.

3. liorp thread starter macrumors newbie

liorp

Well, the reason why I am worried is that ProTools keeps giving me "out of memory" errors and Premiere won't stop lagging. It never happened before, so I don't understand what's causing it now.

4. josh.b macrumors regular

Mavericks has a different way of handling memory though I think you're running into 10.9.0 teething issues. check your activity monitor for unusual stuff perhaps.

5. LV426 macrumors 6502a

That's a slightly different slant on things. Yes, I concur, have a look at you activity monitor to see what's actually eating your memory. Have your favourite programs been updated by the vendors to work optimally with Mavericks, I wonder?

6. benwiggy macrumors 68020

I foresaw that we would get many posts here with people saying "OMG, where's all my precious free RAM?" when Mavx came out.
    Mavericks is designed to use your RAM. Most of it. It doesn't need free RAM to load more apps into.
    As for your memory errors with those apps: you may want to check whether those apps need updating to run on Mavx.

7. eviltobz macrumors member

i've not paid too much attention to protools for a few years, but i know that they always used to be very stroppy about what operating system you could run a particular version on. i'd guess that for performance reasons or something they end up doing things in code that they know they prolly shouldn't thus creating a flakiness as soon as things change.

8. east85 macrumors 65816

east85

I was under the impression that this release of OS X used every bit of RAM and managed it radically different from the last. I noticed the terminal purge command was gone and read into it a little. Isn't this normal behavior for the operating system? Not saying programs might not have incompatibilities but mine is currently running on almost all 8GB (only 1/10th of a GB free) and I've had no slowdowns at all.

9. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

You should have checked with your application providers before upgrading. Here is a message from the protools forum you should read.