Mac Pro versus Imac?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by hemmick reef, Sep 18, 2012.

1. hemmick reef macrumors member

I have posted a simpilar question to iMac owners, but I thought that I would ask Mac Pro owners for their opinions...

I just returned this machine:

2.7GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
    2560 x 1440 resolution
    8GB memory
    1TB hard drive1
    AMD Radeon HD 6770M with 512MB

It was sluggish when running Adobe Illustrator CS6 for my business purposes (Technical Illustration).

Instead of going for a higher spec iMac (should I really need to?) I'm wondering if a Mac Pro with its up-gradable options may have a bit more longevity and work out as the more economical choice?

I think that the problem is due to graphics card performance, but I'm no expert and Apple Care were unable to help as even a Mac mini should run Adobe software?

2. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You aren't the only person to experience these issues with Illustrator CS6 and the issues people have seem more common under OS X. It isn't to do with the graphics card, seems to not even really be hardware related. Just poor software optimisation.

I suggest you read this thread and search for others like it before deciding if on what to replace it with: http://forums.adobe.com/thread/1000477?start=0&tstart=0

3. hemmick reef thread starter macrumors member

Thank you for your reply, I will check the link.

This is very interesting, what you say, as I have had a real headache with all of this over the past two months. I can't buy a Mac and experience worse performance than my 4 year old PC, it's ridiculous, even if it's a newer version of Illustrator.

4. Lesser Evets macrumors 68040

Lesser Evets

I have to admit that I haven't used CS6, and I am not sure where in the design an iMac is slowing down, but...

I can tell you that iMacs are not nearly as powerful as MacPros when it comes to graphics work. Sure, there are these strange benchmarks which make iMacs seem like MacPros, but they are fallacious when interpreted as mere numbers-as-ranking.

The dual processor Pro will smoke any iMac out there when it comes to CSx. It will also allow you to do multiple programs without any pause or hitch. My old MacPro still gives more speed and convenience than a new iMac. I assume the newest multi-processor Pros are damn snappy.

Try one out in store, if possible.