Mac Pro very slow with spinning wheel

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Gloor, Apr 4, 2010.

1. Gloor macrumors 6502a

Hi all,

I'm having troubles with my MP. I sometimes type in facebook chat or even in normal safari window and I get spinning wheel from time to time or when I don't the text freezes for a second or so and then resumes.

I have 10.6.3 and everything updated so any idea what is wrong? Could my HDD going dead as I had my system telling me that it needed "repair disk" which I did and it was completed fine?

2. Loa macrumors 65816

Loa

If the system itself is telling you there's a disk problem, it's high time to do two things:

First: Make a complete back-up of your drive, and make sure to do it daily until your problem is solved.

Second: Use something stronger than the standard Disk Utility to analyze/verify your disk. Diskwarrior, TechTools are two examples of this.

Hard disk problems can be hard to detect, but sometimes they creep up slowly until the disk finally dies. If you can verify your disk using a good tool and everything comes back OK, then you may have an OS problem.

If the disk seems fine and the problem persist, you can try creating a new user to see if the problems happen to a "fresh" user.

Then you can decide if you need to reinstall the OS completely or not.

Start with a back-up and a good verification of your disk.

Good luck,

Loa

3. Gloor thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks Loa,

I've tried complete maintenance in Onyx and it helped a lot. I do sometimes get the spinning wheel but its not as often as it used to be and to be honest I think it has something to do with Flash as that is usually when I notice it. Might be wrong though.

On the other hand. The Onyx cleaning etc. messed up my Parallels so I can't use it anymore as it says that it can't find the valid drive or something like that even though it was untouched. I really don't want to reinstall windows just to turn it on 2x a year :)))