Mac pro video card

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by chippoy101, Nov 6, 2010.

1. chippoy101 macrumors newbie

Last month, my mac pro stopped working. I can still hear the chime but nothing loads in the scree. So i brought it to a service center and they told me it's problem with the video card and that I have to pay 500 dollars for that.

I am hesitant to shell out that big amount of a cash. Been using the Mac for 3 years now. the video card is nvidia p435(says on the sticker) which i think is a 7300 gt.

My question is, can I use PC video cards for this cause I find the similarity. Since it's PCI-e then it should fit and work. My only concern is if they is a special driver that needs to be installed.

Need help on this one guys. I am desperate to get this working.

2. Major Reeves macrumors regular

Go to the apple store and order the hd5870 or the the hd5770.

3. chippoy101 thread starter macrumors newbie

I actually have the old mac pro. The 2007 model per se. Is this compatible. Sorry, I am not really a MAC person, this mac was just a present from my dad.

Thanks for the reply. Upon checking the ATI req, it only says PC and nothing about MAC. Is this a plug and play sort of thing? After inserting the card will it immediately boot up and no need for drivers?

4. zenZen macrumors newbie

5. Cindori macrumors 68040

Cindori

read the guide above and the text below:

the apple store cards (5000 series) work with 2007 macpro aslong as you have snow leopard