Mac Pro Video cards

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MattDSLR, Dec 7, 2013.

1. MattDSLR macrumors 6502

What works good out of the box for video card for MacPro 4.1 and 5.1
    No flashing required just plug in and go
    Post a link too if you found one

2. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

That was funny
    THX
    I was looking for users that had use them and input from them
    There is so many options and allots of them work some time and some times they do not
    So looking for something stable
    Any input will be great THX

3. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

There is actually plenty of information in this forum which can be found with the Search. There is also the big Sticky post about nVidia cards at the top too.

You just have to decide what you are using your MP for as that affects the card choice, how business critical it is because some cards will exceed the MPs power specification and what your budget is.

4. MattDSLR thread starter macrumors 6502

Thank you
    Looking for something a bit faster than a 5870 so I can connect 3 monitors to it and not to worry about drivers
    THX
    will keep searching

5. TheDoc macrumors member

A while back I replaced my stock 5770 with a 6870 and had no issues. Lack of boot screen and some Steam games not being able to play were the only drawbacks, though I knew about both of those ahead of time.

I've just upgraded my 6870 to EVGA's 4GB SC 760. It's a 8+6 pin card but only has a TDP of 170 so I've just got 6+6 connecting to it and it seems to be fine. I'll need to take some readings from it when I start to stress the card. Again, no boot screen.

I think you'll find that the majority of cards don't require flashing. The only thing you need to really concern yourself with is power consumption.