Mac Pro video output question

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by packsherpah, Jan 13, 2011.

1. packsherpah macrumors newbie

I own a 2010 Mac Pro with an ATI 5870 video card. I recently purchased a Dell u2711 monitor. As some of you may be aware, there is a problem connecting the Mac Pro with the ATI 5870 video card using a minidisplay to displayport cable. Apparently some cables result in no signal - like monoprice.

This brings me to my question that I would love a detailed answer on....

Is their any visual downside to just connecting my Mac Pro to the monitor using a DVI cable? Is the video quality the same if I just use DVI? In other words, what is the difference in video quality between DVI and Displayport? If the answer is there is no difference in quality, I will probably just use DVI connecton anway, because it will free up the displayport in on the monitor for me to connect my macbook pro, which I sometimes like to have connected to the monitor if I want to extend my desktop.

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

As long as you use dual-link DVI, there shouldn't be any difference.

3. initialsBB macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

Why is that ? Because of resolution ?

4. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Yes. Single-link DVI can only provide up to 1920x1200 while OP's monitor has native resolution of 2560x1440

5. packsherpah thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks Hellhammer for such a quick response. Am I right in assuming the DVI out on my ATI 5870 is dual link, and that the DVI cable that comes with the U2711 monitor is Dual Link too? How can I tell. I will point out that when I am connected via DVI using the cable that came with the monitor I do get native 2560x1140 resolution - so does that mean its working as intended?

Thanks

6. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

ATI 5870 has dual-link DVI. It's likely that the monitor came with dual-link DVI as well.

[​IMG]

If you're getting 2560x1440, then it indeed is dual-link DVI