mac pro video overheating in XP?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by slug420, Jan 12, 2009.

1. slug420 macrumors regular

hell all, I have a max pro 2x2.66 with 5GB running 10.5.5

When I first bought my mac one of the things that helped me ditch the PC world was my ability to install bootcamp/parallels and XP so that I could play games when I wanted to. This worked really well at first and I loved every minute of CoD4 (for the PC) but lately (has been at least a year since I have played) when I reboot into XP (via bootcamp) I launch the game and the entire system locks up or the game crashes due to an error from the video card overheating.

Any ideas on how I can resolve this? My first thought was dust that had built up over time but I checked and the inside of the mac is still quite clean. I tried to clean what I could and the holes over the case fan and the video card dont seem to have any dust on them....

Also FWIW I upgraded the video card when I bought it to the Radeon X1900

thanks

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

It sounds like you got one of the worse off X1900 cards from Apple. They were known for their heat issues.

3. slug420 thread starter macrumors regular

is this something applecare will take care of for me? if so am I going to have to find a way to reproduce it in osx? Think im going to have to leave the computer with them so they can "test everything" or are they quicker to turn around problems like this since it is "known"?

(when I first got my MP I had to leave it at the apple store for 1+weeks a few different times while they blamed problems on my non OEM memory before they finally replaced CPUs)

4. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

You'll more then likely have to reproduce this under OS X. There was a firmware update for the X1900 and later a complete hardware revision to fix the heat problem.

I know some users here installed third-party coolers on their X1900s.