Mac Pro - Vista Low Volume Audio Problem

Discussion in 'Windows, Linux & Others on the Mac' started by mactulsa, Mar 29, 2009.

1. mactulsa macrumors newbie

I'm running Vista Ultimate 64 natively on my mac pro (2008 model) and everything works perfectly except for an annoying audio problem.* I have read a number of posts on this topic across the Internet, but I can't find a solution.
    I have all the software up-to-date, new bootcamp drivers have all been installed in Vista, all firmware updates, etc.
    If I run the default audio drivers in Vista, the system recognizes my external speakers (Bose MusicMonitor) but the maximum volume output is only 10% of what it should be.* All settings have been adjusted to maximum.
    If I install the new Realtek HD audio drivers, the system doesn't seem to recognize the external speakers and audio only comes out of the internal speaker.* Moreover, the Realtek audio manager (in the system tray) shows red which I think indicates a problem (vs. showing green).
    I really don't know what to do?* Could this be something with the EFI / emulated BIOS system that Intel based Macs use? Has anyone out there been able to fix this problem?* Are there others that have the same problem as I do?* My searches on the net indicate I'm not alone.* Thanks for your help.*** MacTulsa.

2. Anuba macrumors 68040

Anuba

Not sure I'm following this... Are Bose MusicMonitor not analog speakers you plug in to the headphone/speaker jack? From your description ("Vista recognizes...") it sounds like you're talking about USB speakers.

If there's a red symbol across the volume icon in the system tray it means your audio drivers are not working. On a PC this would result in Windows defaulting to the internal 'beep' speaker which merely emits, well, beeps, but I guess on a Mac Pro it defaults to the internal speaker and reproduces the actual audio signal. That's not the Realtek HD driver at work though, that's something else.

Have you checked all volume faders along the way? There's the volume fader in the application obviously, then there's the application's volume fader on Vista's Mixer (which may or may not be linked to the first one), as well as the master volume for the system.

3. mactulsa thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, they are analog speakers. The Mac Pro has a rear line-out jack where the speakers are plugged in. Everything works fine except for the volume output is only 10% of what it should be at maximum.

All volume settings / fader have been set to maximum.

I was pointing out the scenarios:

Scenario 1 - Using default Audio Drivers works, but this is where the low volume is.

Scenario 2 - Loading the latest Realtek audio drivers is when the external sound does not work at all, only the internal speaker and the Realtek Manager App in the system tray shows red. The standard speaker ICON is fine.

4. jamestx macrumors newbie

I have the same issue - exactly. I rarely boot into Windows on this machine, so I'm not sure when it started. However, at some point in the past, it was not an issue, but I may be remembering back to when I had good ole' XP.

Have you had any luck?