Mac Pro VS Alienware Aurora ALX

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by LEOMODE, Oct 5, 2010.

1. LEOMODE macrumors regular

While I'm guessing that the BTO parts are similar to each other,

my question is does the Mac Pro use Xeon processors while Alienware uses
    consumer i7 processors?

I was considering Mac Pro for the following reasons:

1. same spec as alienware aurora alx
    2. with similar configuration on each, their price are similar anyways (e.g. 3.2ghz quad core with ati 5870 and such)
    3. i only use mac osx in my house
    4. i want to play games on my computer on windows (as gaming on macosx blows, with less driver updates)
    5. i dont want imac, because i already have a monitor
    6. i always wanted mac pro :D (well alienware too but macpro can play both mac os and windows os)

i currently have ipad, iphone, and macbook pro but they're not enough to run games that i want to play (starcraft 2, diablo 3, final fantasy xiv)

Any help would be appreciated.

2. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

I would just built a PC for gaming. I'm seeing a lot of limitations when it comes to customization on the Mac Pro. If I want to add more than the default number of HDDs I have to get splitters and that's a mess. If I want more than 4 cards, that's not possible. If I want 2 video cards, I end up with only 1 free PCIe slot. You want more than 4 RAM slots you need to get the dual processor version (which costs a fortune).

If you want a Mac Pro by all means get one, but if you want a gaming machine, I think if you spend only half of what a Mac Pro costs you can build a pretty decent one.

As with the Alienware, they are very nice machines. Very expandable. Also I love Windows 7, so it works.

3. LEOMODE thread starter macrumors regular

oh right, I also wanted to mention that I want it future-proof for at least some kind of expandability in the future if I want to upgrade something.

Thanks so much for your personal opinion. My question is though:

1. Is alienware also capable of CPU upgrades just like MacPro? (I know that at least you can upgrade HDD, VGA, and such but I dont know if CPU is possible as well)

2. Would hacintosh run fine on alienware aurora alx? because I want all possiblities as well (I might get Nvidia GTX480 for VGA though and I dont know if that'll support hacintosh since mac pro doesnt have it)

3. Doesn't alienware use consumer i7 while mac pro uses xeon processor?

Thanks a bunch

4. rosschang macrumors member

Dunno, never seen the inside of alienware. But i suppose if you can remove the heatsink, it should be. Doubt Alienware will go to the trouble of soldering the pins...

Was never on Alienware, but I was at the verge of going the same route via a custom built. decided not to. No time for all the troubleshoot, thou it might be fun.

Edit:Oh, dunno if Vid card is supported? the hackintosh hardware list should give you a good idea...

Yes... and your point being? well if the question up ur head is "is the Xeon over kill for games?" - answer is yes... i bot mine anyway... *delivering today*

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

If you're looking to play games, then I'd say go with alienware or build your own. The advantage of building your own is picking exactly the components you want and depending on your shopping skills/wish list, you could save some money as well

6. perfectshadows macrumors member

alienware = poor wallet

Personally having owned Alienware systems I would never buy one again.

when Alienware were an independant company they were amazing I mean you paid buy selling kidneys online to fund it as they were a mental rip off but the system you got in return was second to nothing on earth

BUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alienware have since been purchased by Dell and that is showing, Fit n finish is not the same, quality of internal componets are not the same cheaper brands are used over the Best componets eg. generic products are used over branded products.

I would personally build my own now as I can hand pick every part I want and no what I have put together is the best out there.

this is just my personal opinion from life experience in Alienware systems. I'm sure whatever you decide to do will be right for you.

7. lannister80 macrumors 6502

lannister80

Build your own!

Cheaper and easy as pie. Just follow the parts lists on various Hackintosh websites and you should be fine.