Mac Pro vs. iMac (graphic artist)

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by delima, May 13, 2008.

1. delima macrumors newbie

'Ello everyone. I'm new to macs, well I have a general knowledge about them, but I have never owned one.

Anyways I'm thinking about buying one. I'm a graphic artist and while I do some heavy photoshop work (300ppi files pretty much 24/7) I don't really do much more as far as intensity maybe a little bit of after effects here and there. Illustrator and Dreamweaver is about the only other apps I use.

So my question is....Should I get a Mac Pro or iMac.

I have Mac Pro configured as: 2.8Ghz, 4GB ram, 500GB hd, 8800GT = 3500.

The iMac configured as: 3Ghz, 4GB ram, 750GB ram, 8800 = 2500

So that's 1 grand difference. Lot of money. I'm just wondering if I would suffer (as far as lag, slow downs...etc) if I went with the iMac vs. the Mac. Would it be worth the extra 1K in the end...:confused:

2. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Welly, one thing you might consider is the glossy screen on the iMac might not be suitable for professional work. But, then again, it might not matter.

3. Aea macrumors 6502a

Aea

The Mac Pro would be marginally faster, but when you consider the high end iMac has an S-IPS panel and is pretty much in the same ballpark, I think the iMac is a better choice.

Plus, with that extra difference you could pick up a cintiq if you don't have one already and feel like you'll need it :)

4. Resist macrumors 68030

Actually the glossy screen IS for professional work.

5. teknikal90 macrumors 68030

teknikal90

how is it for professional work when the blacks are blacker, the contrast is unnatural and the colors are more vibrant.

MATTE FTW!!!

haha.im such a nerd.

6. aviationalyours macrumors member

aviationalyours

iMac

Unless you are doing 1000ppi then you would not even notice a difference. + The iMac is hassle free. So go for iMac

You might want to consider an ACD (Apple Cinema Display) with the iMac. But I suggest you wait. New ones coming hopefully next month.

7. Kalaska macrumors newbie

If the purpose of the computer is more hobby than your primary business, I would probably get the iMac. However, if this is your profession/business read the following:

Please do not forget that part of the cost of a computer system is the software you will be using and any specialized hardware (scanners, printers, mice). These items add up in $$$ quickly. In many businesses, the cost of those items is way more than the cost of the computer itself. You also cannot forget the cost of a backup system, even if the backup system is only a few extra external hard drives.

Also keep in mind that if your computer is critical to your business, you always run the risk of having to purchase another in time of hardware/software crisis. Every day computer is down/in shop you are out of business. If you cannot weather the outage you may have to buy another to get you through the storm (hopefully a less $$ 'backup' machine).

If $$$ are your biggest concern and 4GB of soft memory is enough, I would choose the iMac. If you are trying to be cheap or if the cost ratio of the other components to the computer itself is high, I would highly consider spending the extra $1K. A one thousand dollar difference does not seem that much after adding up all the other costs.

8. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

If you are a true graphic artist and are looking for a computer for the long haul then I would have to suggest the mac pro. as of now its really the only computer made by apple that is fully upgradeable. Everything else is pretty much a glorified laptop. I am also a designer and find that the mac pro has not only saved me on rendering time but gives me piece of mind every time a new mac comes out. I know that I can alway upgrade it. (plus its cost effective in the long run) GET THE MAC PRO IT IS A BEAST!:D

9. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

By the way... unless your doing multi string video or 3d renderings you shouldn't need more than 4 GB of ram. Most software doesn't see more than that to begin with.

10. delima thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright thanks for all the input guys. I freelance so and then work at a design agency as my main job...Use Mac Pros there I just wasn't sure how great the difference was vs. the iMac. So looks like I'll go for the Pro. Gotta just sell my PC and save a little.

Edit: Oh and to the person that suggested I get an ACD. Macs are already over priced as they are. The displays are even worst. You can get two Dell 24" Ultrasharp's with a ton of inputs (HDMI, DVI, VGA, S-Video, Com. 3 different card readers, USB ports) for the price of one 23" ACD. Same goes for buying a 24" Dell vs. the 20" ACD.

11. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

I got two acer 24" 1920 x 1200 display from ccity.com for $270 a piece. The contrast ratio, refresh are much better than ACDs and far brighter

12. Jack Flash macrumors 65816

Color accuracy and other design centric features, though, probably are not.

13. shinchook macrumors regular

shinchook

Not sure if you know much about design but no monitor out there is color correct including the apple displays. This is why they create color profilers.