Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

NexXtTime

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 27, 2008
Okay, I am looking to purchase a desktop. I cannot decide between an iMac or Mac Pro (w/Display added). My budget is ~3000 USD. I can't decide between the two. I would like an iMac, but I noticed in the Apple Store that in FCP, the Mac Pro could play H.264 video in the timeline in real-time, while the (most likely high-end) iMac had to render. This annoyed me, since I'd highly prefer to edit in real-time. I like power, but I need to get the most value for the price. Okay, so I'm hard-glued to the Pro, but I still want the iMac. I also need it to last, because I hate it when Apple updates their products right when you buy them :mad:

I'd appreciate any help, thanks.

Mac Pro- 4
iMac- 0

hldomster

macrumors member
Mar 22, 2009
If you want to edit in real-time, and the iMac doesn't do this, then you should get the Mac Pro (with an LED Cinema Display).

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
You'd highly prefer to edit in real time, you need it to last, and you like power. You've answered your own question - mac pro.

pinak

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
Well the MAc Pro does everything, but the iMac is also pretty good, I recently just bought an iMac and am very pleased, because when you open it up, just put it somewhere, plug-in the thin cord, plug in the keyboard into the iMac ( or connect the blue tooth ) plug the mouse into the keyboard ( or connect it via blue tooth ) and you're ready to go ! And also the Mac Pro is a godly computer and by looking at the price you can already tell its a Pro, computer ( hence the name ) and also if you are going to buy Final Cut Pro, get it from craigslist some guy was selling his full, good condition one for $100, if you want the link PM me or email me ?

Jamessinwest

macrumors newbie
Jun 21, 2009
I've worked extensively on slightly older (2-3 years) Mac Pros, both 4 and 8 core, and they are spectacular for FCP editing, especially HD video. I wouldn't do any high quality video work on any other machine. Definitely worth the money.

Dr.Pants

macrumors 65816
Jan 8, 2009
MacPro, any flavour, will beat the pants off of an iMac as described in the first post. Not to mention it is expandable, and then for your HD media you can RAID together some drives and get rid of the HDD bottleneck - true, one could put a FW800 enclosure on the iMac (it has a FW800 port, right?!), but at the same time, its... ineloquent.

((Note; RAIDing denotes ease - only software RAID. Hardware RAID requires an investment of time and money more then just a few clicks at a UI and popping in drives))

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.