Mac Pro vs iMac

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Yeti89, Dec 26, 2013.

1. Yeti89, Dec 26, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2013

Yeti89 macrumors member

I don't mean for this to be a battle thread between the two systems. I am trying to understand the advantages of the new base model Mac Pro over a fully upgraded iMac. The iMac is a few hundred dollars cheaper and it comes with a screen which would normally cost $1000.

How does the i7 compare to the quad core E5?

What about the 2 Firepro D300 and the GTX 780?

I mostly use Adobe applications and a modest amour of 3D modeling and I really do video editing.

Your input is much appreciated.
    Thanks

edit:
    Found another thread asking the same question. Never mind. :)

2. Ddyracer macrumors 68000

Ddyracer

My guess is the Mac pro will be slightly faster on exports due to a slightly faster clock speed.
    For 3d modeling CPU is more important so once again you might feel want to go with the pro.

3. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

If you're getting paid for your output, then the Mac Pro's performance boost is probably worth the extra investment.

If you're doing this for fun (or only for occasional paid projects), then the iMac should be plenty.

4. MacGizmo macrumors 6502a

MacGizmo

Unless you're using Final Cut Pro, there is currently no scenario that warrants buying the Mac Pro. It's the only video editing app that takes advantage of the Mac Pro's GPU & hardware advancements.

The Mac Pro is made for high-end video and animation work. Unless you edit videos all day long (in HD), I can't see any justification for even the low-end Mac Pro because you still have to add RAM, display, keyboard/mouse, etc. Unless you already have those extras, you're approaching $4,500 after tax.

On the other hand, the fully upgraded i7 iMac with 32GB RAM, 4GB video card and 500GB Flash drive with Apple Care costs exactly $3,598.81 including tax (I know, cause I just ordered one).

5. propower macrumors 6502a

Simplest answer - In general - more $$ buys a more powerful Mac under some set of conditions ... (as always)

At some point, under any number of scenarios, the nMP will be faster and/or quieter than a maxed out imac. This applies to intense CPU loads and is especially true for any multiple GPU capable loads. Whether or not you will ever reach this point or if it matters to you is the real question.