Mac-Pro vs. iMac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by clembo67, Jan 24, 2014.

1. clembo67 macrumors newbie

I need your help. I'have iMac Mid 2011 (I7 + 256SSD + 1Tb + 16 GB RAM).
    I work with Parallels desktop with many virtual machine and intensive DB application (SQL Server).
    My question is: Can new Mac Pro help me to better performance (quad core) working with parallels or not?

Thanks in advance

2. LostSoul80 macrumors 68020

LostSoul80

Virtual machines eat up plenty of RAM. I doubt you'd benefit from a new Mac Pro base configuration.
    I'd suggest looking to upgrade your machine RAM if it supports more than 16 GB.

3. shaunp macrumors 65816

I do similar stuff, but VM's in Fusion instead of Parallels. Both products use hyper threading properly and use loads of RAM. Where is your current setup constrained? CPU, RAM, disk I/O? If it were me I'd look to get the 8-core nMP (seems to be the best price point), add the D500's (not much difference in price to the D300's), 512 GB SSD and 12GB RAM - upgrade the RAM to 64GB 3rd-party.

I would use the SSD for creating VM's, then run them from a thunderbolt array such as a Promise Pegasus 2. I have one of these and using the standard HDD's it's okay for VM's. If I were doing a load of stuff that was highly transactional I'd replace the HDD's in the Pegasus with SDD's.

4. derbothaus macrumors 601

derbothaus

SSD and memory make the biggest impact on VM's. Unless you are running more than 2 then you need more than a Quad core. Getting a quad core nMP to replace a recent quad core iMac is not the greatest idea. Gains will be slim.