Mac pro-vs-Imac

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by new-Mac-owner, Mar 1, 2008.

?

What Would you pick for long term use as 2+ years if thats long.?

1. Imac fully loaded

2 vote(s)
    4.1%
  2. Mac pro semi-loaded

47 vote(s)
    95.9%
  1. new-Mac-owner macrumors regular

I am looking for a new desk top right now I have a hp with 3.0,4gb ram and 400gb hdd.It is ok but its not an apple:mad:------Now my question should I get a maxed out Imac or Mac pro that I can update slowly? What would last longest and be cheaper over time.:confused:

2. 321estrellas macrumors 6502

321estrellas

I was in the same position as you a few months ago, but it was a no-brainer for me to get a Mac Pro, but that's because I do a lot of video editing, so it really comes down to what you plan to do with the Mac as well.

Cost-wise, a loaded iMac 24" compared to a base model Mac Pro is only a few hundred dollars difference, but with the speed difference and better video card, totally makes up for that cost difference.

The Mac Pro will last longer and you'll be able to upgrade as you go. The iMac will likely become obsolete in less than half the lifespan of the Mac Pro.

Another thing that might add to the cost if you get a Mac Pro is if you decide to get another monitor. Although you already have one, you might be deciding to keep it for your current PC...regardless, if you're going for a Mac Pro, might as well go all out for a great monitor too :cool:

3. lampliter macrumors member

You have to remember that mac pros are not upgradeable,however they are expandable.You can add more ram than any human can afford,you can run a truck load of displays and put in thousands of dollars worth of graphics cards.But you can do all that the day you buy it if you can afford it.However you will never be able to upgrade it,such as adding newer graphic card and such.I bought a Mac pro not even a year ago and it has a graphics card from a different era(geforce 7300 GT)and I can`t get anything I consider an upgrade.This will be meet with mac freaks bashing this post but this is how it is.Get the imac unless you need to expand because macs do not upgrade.

4. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

i might end up with the mac pro due to I just order a apple Display for My Mbp

5. zdobson macrumors 6502

Yeah, I think the key is to buy the MP and update only as you need it. That's what I did. I'm not one of these people who can drop all this money for the machine and then drop another $2k for extras.

Plus, when you consider that a maxed-out iMac costs the same as a standard MP with a cheap monitor, or a quad MP with a good monitor, the choice becomes clear.

6. Father Jack macrumors 68020

Father Jack

7. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'd also go for the Mac Pro, it's far better than buying an iMac if you want lots of options.

I'm not bashing you, but you do realize that you can use any PC graphics card (just not SLI) under Windows in the Mac Pro, and that Nvidia is supposed to be working on an 8800 for 2006/2007 models?

8. seany916 macrumors 6502

quad core MP

8800 GPU

wireless capability

and get 6GBs of RAM for 3rd party

MUCH better than an iMac for anyone running pro apps

9. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

yea,Is there any chance of a mac pro update I dont wanna drop 2 grand and have to spend more money on a differt model.And if so what improvments could be made?:apple:

10. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

We just had one less than two months ago. The next update will be for Nehalem in Q3-4 this year. Massive improvements are expected from preliminary benchmarks. A slight case redesign has also been suggested, and is welcome if you're tired of the cheese grater (which I'm not).

11. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Dont forget that if you ever need to replace a simple hard drive or dvd burner, which do fail from tim to time. Will cost you muco dinero for the imac, major open heart surgery. For the mac pro, you can slap one in. With no, or little skill.

12. tivoli2 macrumors regular

tivoli2

You can never be certain when an update will happen, but the MPs have just been updated and started shipping en masse these past few weeks, and if you go by their track record, you might be waiting quite a while for the next revision.

13. lampliter macrumors member

Thanks Mackilroy for not telling me that I should burn in hell for my post.I just read that they are actually officially working on an upgrade of the 8800,I thought that was just all based on a report from nvidea.I can`t wait to get that card.You also said that I can use a different card under windows,I know that but very confused on wich ones can be used with out switching out cards everytime.Can you suggest one to me.Back to topic,mac pro of course is better but a new imac blows my mac pro out of the water with this 7300 gt.

14. giantrobot macrumors member

Pro not upgradable

If you buy the MP because you think the system will grow with technological development, you will be seriously disappointed. Apple makes consoles like the PS3 or X-box and will go out of its way to deny you any real upgrade so they can make you buy their new system. This is their business model and they will no more give you an upgrade path then Nintendo or Sony would for their older game consoles. They all want you to buy the next one. The Mac Pro looks like a PC box and is sold like a PC box but it is not a PC. Even the most mundane things like a bluetooth mouse or a USB hub may not work properly if OSX doesnt support it.

I would also say, if you are going to buy an IMAC, just get the Macbook Pro. The IMAC is essentially a notebook reconfigured to be stationary. At least the MBP gives you mobility.

15. kwfl macrumors 6502

if i can afford, i will buy a mac pro even if i have 10 iMacs.

16. CWallace macrumors 603

CWallace

I too was a switcher (as soon as the new Al iMac's came out) and I went with the 24" iMac for one primary reason - price. The Mac Pro with the 23" ACD was almost double what the iMac was. I also liked the iMac's "simplicity" in being an all-in-one unit. And the length of time the ACD had not been updated bothered me a bit. And I didn't game all that much so the ATI x2600 was fine for me.

My iMac works great and serves me well, but I will be getting a Mac Pro with a 30" before the end of the year. I love the Mac and have pretty much completely moved over. I now want to go to all-digital media so I need a machine with plenty of horsepower and internal storage. I also want to be able to add Blu-Ray (read and write).

So if you can afford it, I would recommend the Mac Pro. I am not sure if the question of whether or not you can add a second CPU to the single CPU model has been answered or not, but if you can, a single-CPU 2.8GHz Mac Pro with 2GB of RAM and a 500GB HDD is only about $100 more then the equivalent 24" iMac (though the monitor would be extra).

It will certainly be the more flexible and expandable of the two and if you too decide that the Macintosh and OS X is the way of the future for you, then having that flexibility and expandability will certainly be useful.

17. dimme macrumors 65816

I have always had mac towers. I have never owned an iMac but have used them. I have a DC2.3 G5 that is 2.5 years old and I really want a intel mac because I also use windows. I am leaning towards an iMac or two reasons first price the top of the line imac with extra ram and tax is $2750, the pro tower with a single cpu, ram and 24 inch screen is $4182. The second reason is cost of use/impact n the environment I know my G5 sucks a lot of electricity and the iMacs seem more energy efficient. I also drive a small car so making a small carbon footprint is important to me. I don't worry much about buying a computer to be future proof because there is always some thing better in two years. I am still a few weeks away for my decision so I welcome input on my thinking.

18. MacFanBoyIIe macrumors 6502

While I agree with this response, it IS POSSIBLE to drop in faster processors that are compatible with your MP. For example, someday I could drop in the 5160 Woodcrests and have quad 3.0GHz instead of my 2.66GHz.

Bottom line is, only get a Mac Pro if you are a really serious power user. For the money you spend on a decent (not bare bones) Mac Pro, you could buy two iMacs, or an iMac and MacBook.

19. new-Mac-owner thread starter macrumors regular

Im glad people have the same plans I do maybe I should just buy both ha ha. There are so many different things I could do maybe just Max out my mbp or buy anther one as a desk top like a 17 inch with external monitor.

20. zdobson macrumors 6502

MP costs the same as a MBP (17"). definitely get the MP if you already have a sufficient laptop.

21. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

No problem. I like Macs, but I'm not rabid, haha. As far as using a different card under Windows, well, I use an HD2600 XT, but as far as I know you can't use a Windows card and a Mac card simultaneously and expect the Mac to boot OS X properly. I could be wrong, though.

I'm confused about this… I've never had any problems hooking up 'mundane' things to my Mac Pro–I bought a "PC-only" Bluetooth mouse a while back and the Pro recognizes it with no issues. Are you certain about this?

22. ray_uk macrumors member

Not Upgradeable?

:D

The new Mac Pro's are defintely upgradeable just as the previous generation of Mac Pro's were, there were many articles of people upgrading their 2007 dual core cpu's to quad core cpu's, It might not be economical but its definitely do'able.

As for graphic cards, nvidia are suppose to be bringing out 8800GT's for the earlier Mac Pro's very soon.

:D

23. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Keep living the dream, my friend, keep living the dream...

24. giantrobot macrumors member

Yes. You can look in the Apple official support group and type in "blutooth" and see the various issues people have with various different bluetooth objects. USB hubs are also known issues. I know these issues because I have first hand experience.

25. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I'm not saying they don't exist. I'm saying I've never seen ANY computer, PC or Mac, have issues with a device that was properly set up. Not complicated properly, mind you, but simply. Are any of the cases due to user error?

(Note: I work in a customer service job at the moment (hey, I'm a college student and it's easy) and nine times out of ten the customer is wrong. I'm not trying to be rude here, but a lot of people simply don't have very much knowledge about anything technical. The tenth person is a MacRumors member ;))