Mac Pro vs MacBook Pro Need Advice From Music "Power User"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Remakeyourself, Jul 5, 2008.

1. Remakeyourself macrumors newbie

Hey MacRumors,

Long story short, I'm on my 5th Mac now, currently using a PowerMac G5 Dual 2.0 and a 1.83 MacBook Core Duo.

I use Logic Studio and have for a long time and have two hard drives on my G5 to separate work from play - although I think I will combine them with my next machine and use an external hard drive when necessary.

I had a PowerBook G4 that I loved right before this machine as well, but I do not go on the road much anymore (I was in school at the time).

I am trying to decide on a MacBook Pro or a mac pro for my next machine. More than anything I'm trying to make sure that I'll never hit any limited if I were to get a MacBook Pro. For the price, the Mac Pro is just a little to expensive considering I don't do music for a living, but a hobby.

The MacBook Pro would be "docked" probably 75% of the time, and with me in front of the TV, lounging around, etc. the rest of the time.

Has anyone been in this situation that can offer some advice?

Thanks,
    -Jeff

2. DJAznSensation macrumors member

DJAznSensation

the MacPro is a really powerful machine and like u said pretty high up there in price... I have the base model macbook pro and since its summertime and I'm not in schoool, my MBP is "docked" for a good amount of time.

but when I got parties to DJ all my music comes with me cause the MBP is obviously portable and is easily integrated in my set.

i'd go with the MBP just for the fact that its powerful and if u ever wanted to take it anywhere, ur not bound to ur desk

:apple: DJ Asian Sensation