Mac Pro Vs. Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by zer0tails, Aug 18, 2008.

1. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

Ok..so ever since I got an external display I have my macbook pro connected to it. I hardly carry my macbook pro around anymore.

should I get a mac pro? It'll be nice to have something so expandable.

2. Jordz macrumors member

Jordz

If you have the $$$ then yes,
    But it really does depend on what you do with you Macs;) and what you want to do with them.

3. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

If you think you need all the power in a Mac Pro then get it. Why would you need to ask us?

4. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

You don't carry you Macbook Pro around because it's hooked to an external display?? Just unhook it and then you'll be able to carry it around whenever you want.

Strange justification to spend a boat load of money on a second computer. Some people buy computers because they need the power or they need to replace what they currently have. For you, is it because of a monitor or for the expandability?

5. Shackler macrumors 6502a

Shackler

HAHAHA!! Love this post

6. patrickmacrumor macrumors regular

LOL. Just unhook it when you need to take it away, simple as that. If you have a lot of USB peripherals connected, I would suggest a USB hub. You'll have only one USB cable to disconnect.

7. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

haha ok thanks guys. I realize this thread may have come off as this guy is lazy and has too much money, which is not really the case.

I am just addicted to Apple stuff i guess and am looking at adding more to the collection.

And it just feels strange not using my MBP anymore since it is tethered to the display etc. that's what I meant.

It's about expandability, and longevity for sure. But if you press me, yes in the end i don't need it. yes, i can unhook and carry my MBP around. Just trust me when I say when you have firewire, usb cables connected to it, speakers, dvi cable, ethernet lol it gets to be quite a pain to unhook it

8. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Why not get an iMac?

If you're not a professional and you're just going to use your computer for web browsing, gaming, email, document authoring, etc. then there is absolutely no reason for you to get a Mac Pro. Especially since you can hook the iMac up to your display and you could have dual monitors.

9. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

whilst not currently a professional. I do intend to get into the field someday. No to the iMac for the glossy screen. Another no to the iMac because i will never buy another computer with an integrated screen. Had an iMac G4 and whilst it was one of my fav. computers when the screen died, that was it. Repair cost a grand and couldn't afford it. That is the end of story for the imac.

And I do use my computer for more than web browsing etc. :)

10. Old Smuggler macrumors 6502a

Old Smuggler

11. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

whats wrong with the glossy screens? it's more natural (glossy is just a pane of glass) than matte anyhow.

12. THX1139 macrumors 68000

THX1139

Ahhh, the ol' "I might be a professional someday" excuse to spend money on a computer you don't need. Sigh... been there, done that. Here's the heads-up from my experience. Don't buy a Macpro UNTIL you are a professional. It's a waste of money otherwise unless you have it to burn. And you can't write it off on your taxes until you use it 100% in a business! Instead, get a Mac Mini to hookup to your external... or since you're too lazy to unhook everything when you want to take your laptop with you, look into buying a docking station.

Here's one for $300. While not as much fun as a Mac Pro, it's a hellava lot cheaper. There might be others... try google.

http://www.bookendzdocks.com/Docking_Stations-Docking_Station_for_15_MacBook_Pro.html

You can thank me for saving you a couple thousand (maybe more with upgrades) on buying a computer you don't need. Want my mailing address to send a check? :D

13. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I'm in a similar situation with my MBP. Its basically lived its entire life on the desk and I've more recently got it hooked up to a display. I have always preferred desktops to laptops, but I think keeping the MBP is the best plan. I've already got a 12" Powerbook for going portable, but sometimes it is nice to have a larger and faster computer on the road. If I were to go all out on a nice desktop computer, I'd have to sell the MBP. Just keep it how you've got it and use it until you need something new.

14. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

thank you very much for sharing your experience and "pearls" of wisdom. :) So what happened in the end with you/your mac pro? What do you use now? You a professional now? Lol pardon all the questions..just curious.

anyways, this was just an idea i was exploring and have not made up my mind or anything.

edit: I think one reason that got me thinking about this in the first place is the nvidia gpu issue going on with the macbook pros, which unfortunately I can't do much to fix. I just thought, again with a mac pro, you don't run into problems like this. in fact, i've never heard of any issues with a mac pro.

15. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

First glossy isn't more natural, Apple puts just as many layers of extra screen protecting plastics on the matte screens as the glossy, in fact the glossy screens have one extra layer that goes over the matte layer to make it glossy.

Second glossy makes images show up with unnatural dark colors. So how does that make it more natural?

16. Jaymz macrumors newbie

Then you missed the Radeon 2600XT issue in the latest 8-core models, where the entire system would freeze, complete with graphical corruption until a firmware update came two and a half months later after they first came out.

Or the machine restarting, instead of waking from sleep mode which still plagues the latest 8-cores (and forces me to disable sleep mode outright).

Or the coolant leakage with the higher end of the Mac Pro's predecessor - the PowerMac G5. Or the random shutdown issues that a few G5's have picked up.

Not to detract you from getting a Mac Pro - despite the 2 & 1/2 months of hell I went through after buying it in January, I couldn't be happier with the thing. Just don't expect to not have any problems because Mac Pro's are mystically flawless. They're as susceptible as anything else, these days.

17. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

The docking station is actually a really good idea. Looks spooky as hell though to see all those ports o_O. Shame that one isn't FW800 compatible.

Good advice :).

18. operator207 macrumors 6502

Exactly. I would hate to have all my photographs (amateur Photographer, emphasize on the amateur part) be off color because of the screen I am using.

19. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I agree, Im considering the same decision myself. the only thing that sucks is I use my copmuter for recording and like to have the option of mobility....

20. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Just looking at this comment, my suggestion is that purchase when you go into the field someday. Why?

Just a few ideas:
    • Save money.
    • Get a better system down the road. The latest and greatest at the time you need it.
    • May be more options available. Maybe the iMac in the future will be enough power so you won't need a Mac Pro.
    • In the future, you might be able to get an older computer that will meet your needs and save funds that you can use for software and accessories.

Technology changes quickly these days. Might as well wait until you have a need so you can maximize your expenditure.

21. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

good point

22. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

dead wrong. matte screens have a special layer that makes the light reflect differently to reduce the glare and reflections. to make this simpler for you to comprehend this fast, here's a wikipedia article, specifically read near the second paragraph under Technology.

Glossy uses an optical coating, it doesnt affect the light from the display itself, while matte goes directly on the lcd panel and increases blur, reduces contrast, color intensity, and the viewing angle. to newbie photographers, I suppose this doesn't matter... but to me, it does.

23. zer0tails thread starter macrumors 65816

zer0tails

No wonder you're a mac rumors demi-god. That made perfect sense for me. Thank you. :)

24. TuffLuffJimmy macrumors G3

TuffLuffJimmy

Dead wrong, the way Apple does it there are just as many layers on one as the other. How is it more natural? The glossy displays show colors unnaturally saturated. How is that more natural?

25. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

lol, sushi does give good advice... but to be a demi god all it takes is a few extra yen;)