Mac Pro vs Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by mtnbikerva1, Oct 27, 2008.

1. mtnbikerva1 macrumors member

I have a powerbook now that I am not even able to watch tv over the internet on now. When I bought it just over 3yrs ago I upgraded the graphics choice.
    So my questions are:
    Is the graphics card in the brand new MBP much better than my PB g4 was?
    Too clarify will the latest MBP be able to last longer than the PB?
    Is the new graphics card cutting edge compared to others now?
    OR
    Should I buy the least expensive mac pro and maybe have to in three years replace the graphics card in order to do something as seemingly simple as watch internet tv?
    So I guess what I am asking should I just count on buying a new laptop every 2 1/2 years VS spend more now on the single chip MP and what card should I get in the MP? I tried to find a non Apple/less expensive place to by GPU for the MP but did not find any. Is there a place like Kingston or Crucial for memory but instead for a good price and quality GPU?
    I have a unused 20 inch dell CRT monitor from about 4-5 yrs ago I could use with the MP.
    I mostly do word processing, research, watch videos, DVDs, e-mail, pictures, Iphone, first person shooters, internet radio(Bob Brinker, TWIT, Mac shows, news, Investing, medical...)
    Also according to my research the Mac Pro is due for a new model coming out any day now.
    So taking longevity of product life VS cost(including upgrade of MP) which is less expensive?
    I tried to be descriptive. I am sure I left information out, but I am willing to give more info. if asked.
    Thank you for you time and wisdom!
    I forgot to also ask when watching tv and movies what will allow me to see the stuff in scenes with poor lighting? I notice a lot of tvs and my laptop you do not see alot, but on a old cheap CRT tv you see so much more. If I buy a new screen should I buy a TV or a monitor and what model or models should I think about? Again thank you!

2. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

the MacBook Pro would easily be able to watch online TV. your PowerBook probably had an ancient video card plus Adobe's Flash drivers for OS X are pretty average even more so on PPC.

the Mac Pro has 2x quad core Xeons (Server CPUs), Full buffered RAM, desktop graphics cards and hard drives (this is why its so expensive). if you would like this power and the expandability of a tower then get the Mac Pro.

3. allmIne macrumors 6502a

allmIne

If you need to leave the house with your computer, go for a macbook pro.

If you don't need it to leave the house, go ahead and buy the mac pro.

Either will do what you want. Obviously, the mac pro graphics can be upgraded down the line, whilst the macbook pro's cannot.

4. ChrisA macrumors G4

The Mac Pro is gross overkill for your use. Any Mac currently on the market is much, much faster than your Powerbook. Even the Mac Mini (with integrated graphics) will run circles around it. My wife watches streaming TV on my old G4 Mac Mini. It has a 1.25Ghz G4 and 2GB RAM and does just fine. but any new Mac is much faster.

5. nope7308 macrumors 65816

nope7308

+ infinity.

Clearly, you just want to "future-proof" your next Mac. After a bad experience with an old computer, I can definitely sympathize with that. However, buying a Mac Pro just doesn't make sense; you won't be able to unleash a quarter of its power... it's like buying a Ferrari to go grocery shopping.

Sadly, I'm skeptical of the whole notion of "future-proofing". That is, you can spend a small fortune on a high-end computer that's fully loaded with room to spare, yet the underlying technology can change in a year or two. Unfortunately, you just can't predict what hasn't been invented yet.

Now, given what you've said, portability is not a requirement. Any Mac can easily handle your daily tasks, so why not go with a (revised) Mac mini (if they're not discontinued) or an iMac? Both would be ample for your needs and much easier on your wallet.

Apple is smart. They leave you very little room for upgrades unless you splurge for the Mac Pro (which you clearly do not need). Have you considered a PC? They are highly customizable and dirt cheap. The trade-off is Windows, but you can always try Linux or a Hackintosh. Just something to think about anyway...

6. zer0tails macrumors 65816

zer0tails

I think the macbook pro is a good choice. Mac mini is good but I think your computing needs are a little more than that.

The mac pro does sound abit extreme for what you'll be doing.

the macbook pro should satisfy you happily.

7. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

The MBP is an excellent computer and is more than adequate for your needs; re future-proofing, expect to get a few years out of it, and then buy again. Technological innovation is such that no computer can expect to remain future-proofed for long, but the MBP is as good as are available just now, and is far better than most of its rivals. I switched last April to Apple when I bought a MBP and I am very happy with it.
    Cheers