Mac Pro vs MBP. Which to get??

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rnava, Apr 12, 2009.

1. rnava macrumors newbie

Advise a Newbie.

Just a simple question, Im putting my feelers out there to see what yall have to say.

Anyway. Im contemplating getting a new computer. I will be using it primarily for CS4, browsing, office docs etc. The thing is that Im torn btwn

Mac Pro:
    2.26GHz
    6GB RAM (which i may upgrade with 3rd prty mem)
    640GB 7200-rpm ATA
    NVIDIA GeForce GT 120 512MB
    applecare
    As Priced: $3,198.00

OR

MacBook Pro:
    17in
    2.93GHz
    4GB 1066MHz RAM (which i may upgrade with 3rd prty mem)
    320GB @ 7200
    no vid card options
    applecare
    As Priced: $3,217.00

WHAT TO DO?? How do they compare? I dont know which to get. Also Im planning on getting a 32in 1080p lcd monitor/tv anyway so an external monitor is not a prob. I dont forsee specifically needing something portable as with my previous setup I had a tiny vaio hooked up to external monitor and rarely unhooked it but after a faithful 4 years its dead.

My main question is which will Feel Faster and which do you think is better suited to a longer lifetime? Im also planning on running VM Fusion and read somthing about upgrading RAM and something about 32/64 bit windows not recognizing a certain amnt of RAM or something (i honestly cant keep up with all the specifics, could someone help clear that up). I dont want to have to deal with breakdowns or slow downs with in the next 1-2 yrs. I personally have always felt that desktops were sturdier, longer lasing machines. What insights do yall have?

Thnks for reading.

2. NRose8989 macrumors 6502a

Really dude, did you even bother looking at the tech specs on Apple's page?

2 x 2.26 Quad Xeons > 1 x 2.92 core 2 duo.

Words can't even describe the difference between the machines.

3. rnava thread starter macrumors newbie

ya. something about dual core 8 idk virtual 16 something. that doesnt mean anything to me. I have the money all i want is something fully capable of running smoothly and quickly. ZERO Lag.

4. cmaier macrumors G3

The mac pro will feel much faster.

Re: fusion - 32 bit windows can see 3GB of RAM (or 4GB of RAM depending on various factors, I believe). 64 bit can see much more.

The mac pro, given its far faster processor and on-board memory controller will outlast the MBP in terms of still being "fast," and is also sturdier.

5. rnava thread starter macrumors newbie

6. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

Well.... My two cents on the issue -

In your situation, I don't know what you would be doing - but I would choose the MacPro for its longevity. Depending on what applications you use, the Macbook may be faster as single-threaded apps will take advantage of the higher clock speed; however, this may be nulled by the fact that the MacPro will have fewer system bottlenecks.

Furthermore, the Macbook Pro is Unibody, isn't it? Meaning its not upgradable? Well, that certainly makes things suck a little. Such as - you would not be able to pop it open without voiding Applecare (99% certain) and replace one of its hard discs with something faster (like a VelociRaptor, OCZ Vertex or Intel X25-E) that would eliminate the major HDD bottleneck. Not to mention with the MacPro, for even greater performance (a little different from what you would actually feel) you could RAID some of the drives for faster and/or redundant I/Os.

Not to mention that the MacPro is made from server-class parts; she's made to run 24/7 ;). It should not overheat any of its components - CPUs today will generally shutdown at a certain tempurature, but in a laptop, the overall tempurature is higher, meaning that HDDs (mainly) and other components may have a shorter lifespan.

And let's say you want to get into some intensive stuff, if you want. Need some virtual machines? Right there! Run complex tasks on Mathmatica? Right there! Throw in more RAM for ****s and grins? Right there!

[/rant]

7. sparkie7 macrumors 68000

sparkie7

If you strap wheels to both the MP and MBP... the MP will definitely feel faster going down hill because of the extra weight

As for which will last longer.. I use the "kick test" [not as damaging as the sledge hammer test IMHO] -- giving both a boot with steel caps on, the MP will definitely come out alive, but forget the MBP, it'll just cave in on the first wump. hope this helps :D:D

8. cmaier macrumors G3

No way the MBP is faster even on single-threaded apps. Much less memory bandwidth, much slower processor (you can't compare a mobile processor from the last generation to a xeon from this generation. clock speed means nothing when comparing one architecture to another).

9. Dr.Pants macrumors 65816

Dr.Pants

You are absolutely right. I was just looking for one single positive point that the laptop would have as compared to the BEAST, besides portability. :eek:

Actually, in physics terms, the speed is the same (as the acceleration due to gravity is constant), but the momentum for the MacPro is proportional to how many times heavier it is to the Macbook Pro. Oddly enough, the momentum comparison works (somehwat) in this situation. Guess who's a science major *Raises hand*

10. iamcheerful macrumors 6502

iamcheerful

quick answer, Mac Pro generally will be a better performing machine in almost every instance.

but given that you have the money, you might like to consider the max-ed out Mac Pro.

in addition to maxing out the Mac Pro, get this.

11. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

Well, the OP has said nothing to indicate what the projected use of the machine will be. So, it's a bit difficult to give constructive advice. :rolleyes:

From an overall durability and longevity standpoint, the Mac Pro is a better choice. It's faster, far more upgradable and the hardware would be less prone to failure due to heat, versus a notebook that has lots of parts shoved into a casing that's under an inch thick.

But when it comes down to it, you buy the machine that suits your needs the best. If you don't need portability, it's silly to buy a notebook machine. Me? I have both. MP as my video editing rig at home, MBP for field production work and travel.

12. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

Depends on if if need mobility a lot. If not, Mac Pro without hesitation;of course it will be faster.

13. JasO macrumors regular

If you need a portable computer then the MBP is the only way to go about it.

If you don't' need a portable machine and are happy with your computer being planted on a desk for the rest of its life then the MP is what you want =)

If you need both, you can always buy both.

14. Pika macrumors 68000

Pika

As the owner of both, I can say that I love the MacBook Pro because it's super quite and portable.