Mac Pro VS New Mac Pro Question.

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by DubbleDuecer, Jan 10, 2009.

1. DubbleDuecer macrumors member

I have the latest mac pro. Was thinking about selling it and getting the new one when it comes out. I have the original hard drive plus a 1TB hard drive with Windows Vista via bootcamp. If I keep the 1TB hard drive, can I put it in the new Mac Pro when I get it and use windows vista still?

Also, I may just build a Gaming PC as I also have the newest Macbook Pro. What would I have to do to make that 1TB hard drive with Vista on it, work in a home built Gaming PC?

2. rockinrocker macrumors 65816

rockinrocker

yes. i don't think there's any doubt the new models will still use sata drives.

3. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

im sure they'll be sata, but the stuff on my drive will still work? If I go the PC route, how would that work, I dont want to buy Vista agian

4. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

You'll probably just need to reinstall/update Vista as it will detect hardware changes.

5. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

yeah, i figured before i take it out and sell the mac i will uninstall all drivers. could someone point me to a HOW TO, Erase/Prepare a computer for sale. wipe out all personal info.

6. mperkins37 macrumors 6502a

mperkins37

I would put the drive in the new macpro, BTW, why do you need to upgrade to the newer one when it comes out?
    Heavy Video editing?

7. bozz2006 macrumors 68030

bozz2006

to prepare a mac for sale, put in the install disc that came with your computer, and "Erase and Install". it will wipe the drive clean, and install a factory fresh version of the OS

8. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

Im leaning more toward building a custom pc and using my new macbook pro for my editing

9. nanofrog macrumors G4

Gaming on the PC + modest (hobby) video editing on the Macbook?

10. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

correct. i have strata 3dx. cs3 design suite. both for school. I dont do much if any video editing. play a lot of games on my mac pro, but also do editing on my big monitor. i have the newest macbook pro with 9600gt, i will just hook that up to my monitor for editing i think. Im trying to sell my less than a year old dual quad-core 2.8ghz with 6gigs of ram. do you think $2,300 is reasonable?

11. nanofrog macrumors G4

Sounds like you don't actually need that much machine now, and if not in the near future, definitely sell it IMO. (I'm assuming what you want to build is less $$$). If not, hard to say, as I don't know your priorities well enough. :p

Hmm... $2300 is close to a refurb base model, so I think it's possible, given the additional RAM and no warranty. If your machine has an extended warranty (Apple Care), you certainly should. :D

Good luck. :)

12. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

How big is the HDD? Or, rather...

Actually, that site is known for quoting a little low.

13. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

quoted for a little over 2k. no applecare but is still eligible. I have 320 harddrive, with a 1TB also added, with vista on that. i also have a 9600gt installed for windows gaming. I figured my best bet was to take all that out though. keeps me from having to buy Vista and a harddrive again. Yes my computer to build would be WAY less. with a Blu ray burner, 1gb 4870, and i7, it comes to a little over 1k.

14. nanofrog macrumors G4

Leave the memory you added, but remove the extra HDD and graphics card. Then sell. :p

15. m1stake macrumors 68000

The Vista license key is tied to the board serial number of your pro. You'll need another key, unless you get on the phone with Microsoft and say your board died and you had to RMA it or something. That's what I do when I buy new boards.

16. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

Can i call them and tell them the truth? im getting rid of that computer but keeping the hard drive, and have them inactivate my serial or something?

17. ZMacintosh macrumors 6502a

ZMacintosh

seems like alot of various of ideas here.

With regards to keeping Vista on that drive...do you plan on cloning it to the MacBookPro or putting that into your new built PC Rig...or another Mac Pro?

If you intend on putting in the PC-Rig, best bet is just do a complete install from scratch...since it has all the old apple drivers in there...i suppose you could just unistall those and install the new MB and other chipsets over that.

The whole activation thing isnt really that big of a deal honestly, you can swap it out all you want with whatever machine, they just reactivate the Product Key tied to original install, and they just give you a new Product ID, no big deal.
    Usually you have a few attempts to do so without calling Microsoft.

18. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

19. nanofrog macrumors G4

Use m1stake's method, as it works. :D

If you tell them you've switched computers, there's no reason for them to help you. As he mentioned, the license is tied to the board, not the drive or individual in an OEM EULA. :(

Personally, I scrape up the extra cash for a retail version to avoid the aggravation. ;) :p

20. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

Is there a classified thread here? any suggested places to sell other than ebay/craigslist?

21. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

The Marketplace is available to those who have been here for six months with over 250 posts. Get cracking on the posting. ;)

22. nanofrog macrumors G4

The Marketplace rules can be found here. ;)

The really short version, is:
    • 250 posts
    • 6 months (180 days)

23. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

sold for 2,250. Sad its going, but happy at the same time. Still have my Glassbook Pro

24. nanofrog macrumors G4

But now you can get what you really needed to best suit your needs. ;)

$50 within what you hoped isn't bad either. :D

Good luck, now go shopping. :p

25. DubbleDuecer thread starter macrumors member

This is true. Thanks for the help/advice everyone. I'm glad I'm still part of the Mac family. See ya.