Mac Pro VS. PC Config.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Diseal3, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

Hey All, My Dell's power supply just blew up, Literally , and instead of changing the power supply I'm using it as an excuse to buy a new computer. I have the money saved up and unsure as what to spend it on exactly, although it will be on a computer. Im stuck between the mac pro vs. this pc config on newegg.

My Config:

Thermaltake Xaser
    1000 Watt power supply
    Nvidea (evga) 790I SLI MB w/ 4 gig DDR3 2000 Memory Mods
    Yorkfield 2.83 Quad Core Processor LGA 775 95W
    Nvidea (evga) 280 GTX
    1 TB WD Hard-drive

32 Gig Flash USB Drive and fan's and such.
    Total Cost:$2,317.46 with shipping.

and ill be ripping the cd drives out of my old rig as there only a year old as well as my current 2 HDs.

Now I would go for the Mac Pro the only problem is that it dosent have an expandable video card above the 8800 I think. The processor's obviously blow mine out of the water 2 Quad cores=wow. So what do you guys think?

EDIT:

I will be using this computer for Flight Simulator Solutions (Microsoft,X-plane and a project magenta solutions.) Aside from that, gaming such as WoW (Which im not worried about because I know it works on both systems.) Homework,Projects and such, E-mail, Internet Browsing ETC. I do occasonially use my computer to pull up video onto my TV to watch movies. As for my Display's I use either my TV for FS Solutions and a 30' monitor for all other uses.

2. iMav macrumors 6502

iMav

I think you are educated enough about both solutions (and yourself) to know what is best.

However, if you are truly looking for advice from the masses here, it might help to clue us in to what it is you'll be using this system for.

3. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

KK I just added in my uses, thanks! It's just what really gets me are those processors and well the mac os that are stopping me. The mac pro has 2 physical quad core processors opposed to the windows machine only getting 1 quad core... unless I put in a server MOBO and get the 2 harpertown chips and Memory but it isnt amazing for gaming as I wont be able to do SLI or Crossfire.

4. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

Get a Mac Pro..it will last awhile and you can install Windows on it. Get the Pro.

5. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

I really think you should get the MacPro if the processors blow any wintel processor out of the water (from what I understand by your post). You can up the memory and the 8800 should handle your games just fine.

6. Diseal3 thread starter macrumors 65816

Video card wise its not expandable from my knowledge there arent even any hackintosh drivers from what I saw (Correct me if im wrong and please link.) There's really were my problem begins, the video card.

7. tri3limited macrumors 6502

Of course you can upgrade the video components... Look, if you really really want to get the PC go for it and don't feel bad.

You want to use Flight Simulator and other things Windows so it would be most cost effective to get a Windows machine.

8. winninganthem macrumors 6502a

winninganthem

The Mac Pro is just a fancy desktop computer. Of course you can upgrade the video card. The big thing it prides itself on is easy upgradability.

Don't waste your money on the Mac Pro. It is a professional workstation computer that companies buy and are able to afford partly because they write it off as a business expense.

For things like:
    you'd be fine with a regular MacBook almost. Since it sounds you want a desktop though I'd say buy a $500 custom machine. Build it yourself if you know how to, otherwise there's a lot of impressive options out there for under $1000.

But yeah, nothing in your uses really justifies the price of a Mac Pro to me.

9. iwuzbord macrumors 6502

iwuzbord

well. you are on a mac - based forum.
    some, not all, users are biased.
    as for me, having switched a month ago, think that a mac pro would be a better choice because you can run both windows and mac osx.

BUT.
    based on your uses, you might as well just build yourself a computer. it would save you some money and you could get exactly what you wanted.

10. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Does you monitor have two inputs?

Use the 8800GT for the mac side connected to the 1st DVI/VGA port on your monitor.
    Install a GTX 280 or whatever card you want on the second slot. Make sure you can power it or get another power supply. There are 2, 6-Pin PCIe but you might have to use one to power the 8800GT if you choose to use a 8800GT. If not, you have 2, 6-Pin PCIe and will be able to power a GTX 260 since it use 2, 6-Pin PCIe and not a 6-Pin + 8-Pin PCIe. Connect that to your second DVI/VGA porton your monitor.

11. rpaloalto macrumors 6502a

rpaloalto

Get the Mac Pro. It's a great computer.
    Yule be glad you did.

I'm really Steve Jobs,and I'm telling you to BUY THE MAC.;)

12. noodle654 macrumors 68020

noodle654

The Mac Pro will also hold a great resale value unlike a hackintosh or a windows PC.