Mac Pro vs. Sub-woofer

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Vylen, Aug 1, 2010.

1. Vylen macrumors 65816

So I'm hoping to get a Mac Pro sooner than later.

It's been a while since I've had a tower machine (currently using an iMac) and I've been trying to think about where I can put the tower.

Best place I can think of is on the floor - a meter in front of the sub-woofer which is part of my Z-5500 speakers. Well, not directly in front. They're "in front" since they're under the same length of table, but the sub-woofer is pointing at a 45 degree angle out. But sub-woofers are meant to be placed anywhere since that's the point of an LFE speaker.

Once in a while I crank up the volume of music/movies to the point where I can sometimes hear the glass panel in the entertainment cabinet shaking.

Is it going to be detrimental to the Mac Pro to have it placed there? Floor is carpeted and I'm on the top floor of my house so I'm hoping vibrations across the floor would be muted.

I suppose this can be considered a general question of tower machine vs. sub-woofer. But I'd like to think Mac Pro's are able to handle a little shaking ;)

2. 300D macrumors 65816

300D

I've had my sub directly next to my PowerMac for 4 years with zero issues.

3. strausd macrumors 68030

I remember when I opened my Z5500s there was a piece of paper on the sub that said to keep electronics at least 2 feet away (or maybe 18 inches, something like that).

4. Vylen thread starter macrumors 65816

Oh yea. I remember that. I laughed when I saw it. I didn't keep it though - I should've.

It would've been nice if that piece of paper actually explained why.

[EDIT] Although... I'm pretty sure it was because of whatever behemoth of a magnet they have in there. Although strength of a magnet decreases exponentially as you go further away from it. 2-feet is pretty far in those terms.

5. CaptainChunk macrumors 68020

CaptainChunk

And a lot of subwoofers aren't magnetically shielded.

6. cured.not.dried macrumors member

acoustically speaking you'll want your sub as far from your ears as you can get it

think about it, if lower frequency pitches are produced by the sub, and lower frequency pitches inherently have a longer wavelength, then the sub should be further away because you won't actually hear the original signal from it if it's too close, you'll only hear the reflections from other objects further away.