Mac Pro w. Lion will not boot?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by psymas, Dec 30, 2011.

1. psymas, Dec 30, 2011
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2011

psymas macrumors newbie

psymas

Having a little issue since I can't start my Mac Pro :( pretty annoying since I have lots of stuff both work as well as private related files on that machine..

I have a 1. generation Mac Pro never ever experienced any problem with that machine. Recently I ran out of space on my hard disks and then I bought 4 new 1 TB disks from Seagate - all the same model (ST31000340NS) I removed my older and smaller disk and configured the new disks like this:

Bay 1: Boot disk, 1 partion on 1TB
    Bay 2: 2 partions on 500B each for file storage
    Bay 3: RAID 0
    Bay 4: RAID 0

This morning when I wanted to start up my mac the process ended up with my desktop wallpaper showing up but I was not able to do a thing (keyboard not function) The only thing that is happening is the mouse cursor going into wait status (this multicolored wheel appearing) I can move the mouse arond on the desktop but nothing the program bar wil not come up if I put the cursor on the bottom of the screen. All my desktop icons are also gone.

I have tried to reboot everal times with no luck. Fortunately, I have a mac book so I have tried to get access to the boot disk via a firewire cabel. When connecting via firewire I only get access to 3 out of 4 disks - the one I do not get access to is the bootdisk :( If I open disk utility (DU) and try to verify and repair the boot disk I get this:

Show details output:

Invalid node structure
    The volume OSX was found corrupt and needs to be repaired

Error Disk Utility can't repair this disk…disk, and restore your backed-up files.

stop dialogue box:

Disk Utility stopped repairing "disk1s2"

Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your file as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files.

Mhhh pretty much the disk that is physically damaged (some how)

Then I read a bit on the internet about recovery features in Lion and found out that Command + R could help me. But when I try this my Mac Pro stops end up in loop where it can't boot into the desktop - it just ends up with the grey screen with an apple in the middle ad this flash like symbol going around beneath..

The I thought I might try to boot from my Snow leopard cd and see i I get more options like first aid and such but I only end up in DU having the same problems as above..

By now I'm pretty lost and would love a piece of good advice? I wonder how I can; "Disk Utility can't repair this disk. Back up as many of your file as possible, reformat the disk, and restore your backed-up files."

How can I backup my files on that disk when i can't get access to it? And know I have to reformat the disc from DU but then All my files will be lost, so I have to backup or take an image of the disk before I format.

That's my story, first time in 4 years (after I jumped on the mac-train) I experience a problem with my mac

Just want to add, the bootdisk emits a noise that I have not heard before, it's not really loud but it's there just like it's doing something without being able to stop. Normally you can hear the disk spinning but this sound is like permanent not spinning but just a noise I hve'nt heard before from a disk

By the way, if I hold down the option key whenn rebooting I get the screen showing I have this "Recovery HD" but how can i activate it? My boot disk also shows up next to it. If I click the recovery HD then the mac gets stuck with the grey apple screen.

I just tried to insert my old boot disk with Snow Leopard installed so I could see if my system is working, and yes everything works good, of course not the boot disk with Lion installed..Since I have a USB docking station for hard disks I tried this as well. And by surprise the Lion disk now shows up on the snow leopard desktop as a ext. USB drive :) woow what a breakthrough! When I try to browse the disk i can see the basic file structure:

Application folder which is emty
    Library folder also emty
    System folder opens up into second level (Library) and all the folders here are then emty
    Users folder 2 folders inside the shared folder and then my personal profile, both are emty

Now I'm even more confused - any suggestions?

2. psymas thread starter macrumors newbie

psymas

Data Rescue 3

I just tried to check disk and recover with Data Rescue 3. The program will not even start searching for files, it rejects all operation immediately, I tried both the fast and the deep analyser. Also the disc checking functionality is out of order with this disk.

I can't find any other ways at this moment and I think it is very strange that the disk will show a folder structure when attached to a USB docking station but when I use disk scanning/recovery software then the disk is dead?

3. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

Download a copy of diskwarrior and try it, might help.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Sounds like a dead hard drive. It happens, you should be able to get a replacement from Seagate under warranty.

jW

5. psymas thread starter macrumors newbie

psymas

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Thx. for replying - I'll try diskwarrior as a final step before I contact Seagate.

6. ashman70 macrumors 6502a

If you have to replace the hard drive, you might want to consider partitioning the 1TB drive into two 500GB partitions. You could then install OSX to one of the partitions and use the other for data storage. You could then install Carbon Copy Cloner and clone the OSX partition to one of the other 500GB partitions on the drive in bay 2. If you set CCC up to do a clone each morning at 5AM say, you would then have an up to date second boot partition on a second disk that you could boot into in the even of a drive failure. This is what I do.

7. psymas thread starter macrumors newbie

psymas

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A405 Safari/7534.48.3)

Great Way to get organized for future hard disk failures :) I'll take your advice into consideration when I start building up the system after I have solved my current issue.
    By the way Yesterday, I managed to pick off files some of the from the crashed drive by mounting it from a USB docking station. I booted up from my win XP bootcamp drive (which is installed on a separate 1 TB hard drive) and suddenly I could see all the files, the complete file system etc. The reason why I started up in win xp was because I wanted to install seatools (only win compatible) which is seagates' hard drive utility. I was unable to perform any kind of disc repair operation - the software simply rejected to start working with the crashed drive. The deep scanning test failed after determining 500 errors from the very start.. The thing is that the hard drive is USB mounted. As long as it is attached that way I'm not sure if the Seatools detect it as their own product, it might be detected as a generic hard drive. If somebody knows about this then pls. comment. If I mount the crashed drive internally Bootcamp/win xp crashes (it goes into black screen for a few seconds and and trues to restart..) just seconds after it have detected a new drive :