Mac Pro - Wait or Buy Now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by HRMaddie, Nov 11, 2008.

  1. HRMaddie macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 11, 2008
    #1
    Well, I was going to make the jump to Macs in January to see if any new upgrades would become available to the mac pro, but my computer is slowly dying on me. What might I miss out on if purchase a Mac Pro now instead of waiting for the new year? I might be able to manage for a little bit. I just don't want to buy a Mac Pro now and have a cool upgrade in January that I can't get. like the some users and the 8800GT card.
     
  2. MatLane macrumors 6502a

    MatLane

    Joined:
    Sep 30, 2008
    Location:
    England, United Kingdom
    #2
    Erm, if you can wait it out then might be worth it

    If you do need one now go for it!
    Still amazing machines..
     
  3. themoonisdown09 macrumors 601

    themoonisdown09

    Joined:
    Nov 19, 2007
    Location:
    Georgia, USA
    #3
    If you have to buy a new computer before MacWorld 2009, it's not the end of the world to purchase the current Mac Pros. They are still good machines and will still be good machines after a refresh.
     
  4. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #4
  5. kornyboy macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Sep 27, 2004
    Location:
    Knoxville, TN (USA)
    #5
    Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5F136 Safari/525.20)

    To answer your question concerning the updates that we might see, I guess just about anything is possible. A blu-ray ROM is possible and maybe a SSD option. This is purely speclation though.
     
  6. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #6
    "Blu-ray is a world of hurt."
    -Steve Jobs

    SSD is really given, as are SATA ODD plugs.
     
  7. Artofilm macrumors 6502a

    Artofilm

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2005
    #8
    We will most-likely see a processor bump in January like last year.
    Maybe some new GPUs?

    Nothing hugely different will be announced.
     
  8. Rizvi1 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2006
    Location:
    Laurel, MD (Baltimore, MD / Washington, DC area)
    #9
    I myself am probably going the used route, wanting to spend something around $1500. I found a lot of info in the "Cheap" Mac Pro? ($1500) thread and did a post here. I'm still trying to research what I should look for, what to pay, what I should avoid, etc w/ a used a Mac Pro.
     

Share This Page